PS
Posted By
pamla_sickinger
Sep 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
can somebody help me…. I have mac quicksilver G4 power PC and I now use mac os X panther 10.3.0….I use a canon pixma 4200 printer….however, when I go into photoshop 6.0.1, the computer processes back into classic mac 9.2.2 (or something) and when I go to print from the photoshop, it gives me the epson 820 printer interfacing (or whatever it is called), but I NO LONGER HAVE THE EPSON PRINTER. I do not know what to do….I tried going into system preferences, printer set up utility, to delete the epson, but it does not show an epson as being present….I then went into "file", "find", "epson" and it showed on the "hard drive", "library", "printers", and then when I went in there, little epson icons, but nothing that makes sense to remove…..so I went back to photoshop, while I was in photoship, I hit the apple icon on top left menu bar to extentions manager, and also saw some epson things, and I tried to take the x’s off the epson things that were checked, but then after I restarted, all the x’s came back checked again. So I really do not know what I am doing, and everyone I asked said, oh, just go into the printer setup utility, but like I said, this shows only the canon as being present? Does anybody know how to set the canon pixma ip4200 onto the photoshop 6.0.1, under the circumstances that I am talking about. Thank’s much! very truly, pamla

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Sep 17, 2006
Learn how to use color management

<http://www.gballard.net/psd.html>

follow the directions.
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2006
Pamela,

That’s a lot of ground to cover.

First off, you should NOT be running 10.3.0. Update to 10.3.9 ASAP. It’s a free download from Apple.

Photoshop 6.0.1 can only run in Classic, not on OS X. You need to install the printer software in Classic too. Hopefully Canon gave you drivers for Mac OS 9.x. (Otherwise you’re severely out of luck as far as printing from any application that runs in Classic emulation.)

A few users here do run Canon printers. Let’s hope they jump in.

What I can tell you is that Photoshop 6.x in Classic cannot see any of your OS X printers that you manage through the Printer Setup Utility. You would have to be able to select the driver through the Chooser in Classic. That’s why you need the Classic version of the printer.

Your best bet is to upgrade your Photoshop application so that you run it natively in OS X.
B
Buko
Sep 17, 2006
When printing out of the trial version of CS2 prints were a match with the screen.

then things are not set the same.
PS
pamla_sickinger
Sep 17, 2006
Hey Ramon: Thank you….you are awesome, you sound like you really know….I did understand what you said, but I do not actually know how to physically make it happen…I remember switching from 10.3.0 into classic 9.2.2 from the startup disk, and there was no menu bar on top of screen, nor any little mac apple in the top left corner, and it was a nightmere, you have to know key strokes to get to what you have to do, (which I do not know)….somewhere, somehow, I found this person at the apple store who was willing to tell me, how to get back into os X……but I was told that you never have to go back into classic, so never go into classic with startup disk, "you can start in os 10 to do anything in classic? I do not know if that is true or not….I did already try to upgrade to the 10.3.9, on two different occasions, but it said something to the effect of not having enough space….so I guess I have to get more memory (it says 384 GB in "about this mac" memory) but bravo for knowing something!!!!! .again, you are awesome……I cannot afford to upgrade the Photoshop…so I guess I will try to locate a driver for the canon pixma ip4200, but I bet I will not be able to…….it is funny, I did try dragging and dropping a copy of the canon software into the 9.2.2 applications folder, but you do say you have to put it in by the chooser. I can’t believe that I have this huge problem……why can’t these manufacturers just make everything compatible……why is everything money for them?!!!!! .I really wanted to focus on getting the correct new printer for what I want to do…….and I know I now need the memory upgrade, and without a job….it stinks…I thought I was gonna make my own income by creating graphics and product to make money, but it all seems so futile right now……..what printer is the best for vivid hand draw graphic images that are scanned in and then printed out in that glicee format (don’t know if I am using the correct terminology), you know archival and very detailed and vivid!!!!…..and also I cannot afford quark, or indesign, and I decided to avoid "pages" so I bought "the printshop II" because I though I might get away with using it as a layout format for the photoshop and illustrator projects…….am I thinking correctly….I will not keep asking questions, these are the last, but it is so refreshing to come upon somebody who seems to know something…..I know my issues are all over the map, but i’ve learned a lot just by you answering the question about the chooser and classic….if you ever have time to answer the other few questions, then I will leave you alone….thank’s Ramon!!!! cpeace pamla
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2006
Oooops! That’s awfully hard to read on the screen, Pamela.

Next time, please don’t type more than three or four lines without a space between paragraph, as suggested in the link below:

Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!

I’ll copy the text of your message to format it in text editor so I can read it. Then I’ll see what your questions are and whether I can answer them later.
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2006
OK,

First I need to make the distinction between Classic and Mac OS 9. They’re not one and the same thing.

Though you do have to install a lot of components from Mac OS 9.x in order to run Classic, Classic itself is an emulation program that runs in OS X so you can run legacy software.

Some machines, like my MDD DP 1.25GHz, can still boot into straight, native Mac OS 9.2.2, or, alternatively, you can boot into OS X in them and run the Classic emulation software.

Before we go any further, I would like to know if your machine is dual bootable like mine or whether you are restricted to OS X and Classic.

Then I would ask you if you have any experience running the old Mac OS such as Mac OS 9.2.2. Otherwise we’d just be going around in circles.

Also, before we continue, you have to let me know whether you are able to find an OS 9 driver for your printer.

As far as not having enough space for the 10.3.9, it sounds like you are in deep trouble with your hard drive space. That has nothing to do with RAM nor with "memory", though 384MB (it cannot possible be GB) of RAM is woefully inadequate too.

Any time a hard drive gets to be 85% full, you are in serious trouble.

If you are contemplating going into giclée fine art prints, you’ll have to get one of the high-end Epson printer. Your Canon is simply not suited to the task. Sorry to have to break this bad news to you.

You would need at the very least an Epson Photo R2400 with 8-color Ultra Chrome K3 inks, that sells for about $850, but that would barely let you enter the market with moderately small 13-inch-wide giclée prints. There’s not much of a market for giclée prints that small.

You should be looking at a wide format Epson printer like the Epson Stylus Pro 4800 that sells for about 2 grand, and up to the Epson Stylus Pro 9800 Professional Edition that sells for about $6,000. Beyond that you get into Iris printers.

Be advised that giclée canvas is also expensive and you’ll need to apply PremierArtPaper Shield spray after printing. (Giclée means sprayed-on or squirted in French.)

Here’s some general information on Epson giclée printing: CLICK HERE <URL here>

In order to generate income, some initial investment is required. That’s a fact of life.

If you have a legitimate, registered copy of Photoshop 6.x, you can upgrade to Photoshop CS2 for less than $150 (Amazon price), and to the whole suite, which includes InDesign for about $490.

That’s insignificant compared with the investment in a printer and supplies.

If you just want to sell your own work, you’d probably be better off outsourcing the printing part, at least for now.

There are many users on this forums that know a heck of a lot more about professional printing than I do. I hope they jump right in.
B
Buko
Sep 17, 2006
I did already try to upgrade to the 10.3.9, on two different occasions, but it said something to the effect of not having enough space

I realize Ramón touched on this but I’m going to add.

You have not given us any info about your setup (computer gear) but from that comment I must figure that you don’t have enough empty disk space on your hard drive. See Ramóns comments about being 85% full. You are also using Photoshop 6. From these 2 things I can only guess that you have an old computer with a small hard drive and very little RAM.

My advice if you can’t afford to upgrade your computer and software forget OSX. go back to OS9.2.2 you will be better off for now. Removing OSX will free up much needed disk space. Make your images send them out to a service bureau to have them made. When you sold enough prints buy a new computer and upgrade your software.
PS
pamla_sickinger
Sep 17, 2006
Hi Ramon.

Re: Mac Quicksilver, 733 MHz PowerPC G4 – 384 MB SDRAM

Ramon..I can’t thank you enough. If I can extend my gratitude by writing a letter to someone for you, or anything of that nature, I will do that. You deserve to be honored for your time and patience.

I want to apologize to the community for not realizing the rules. I never did this before, and did not realize.

I know that I am using 10.3.0 and that when I look in my hard drive there are some applications for ()S 9….and that the computer will automatically go into processing classic (it says something like that – about classic is starting) when it needs to. I can’t answer the question of being dual rebootable because I do not know. So I don’t want you to go in circles.

I emailed canon, and there is no driver for the canon pixma ip4200 printer for the OS 9.0, etc…unfortunately, it only works with max OS X and higher…

Presently, after working in illustrator 9.0 and photoshop 6.0, can’t I save the final image to the desktop, and then import it into "the print shop 2", I actually already tried it, and it works… but of course, not with the detail, but is there anything I can do to get the best possible image from doing it this way?

What is the best possible format to save the image in onto the desktop. I have read that it should be a Tiff….does that even matter if importing into "printshop 2"… thank’s again and much blessings….
PS
pamla_sickinger
Sep 17, 2006
Dear Buko…

Gosh thank you a lot for your input also Buko!. I wish I knew where it would tell me if it is over 75% full…..all that I know is from what it says in "about this mac" and that says:

733 Mhz power PC – G4
384 MB SD RAM

Have a great evening! Fondly, pamla
PZ
Philip Zaleon
Sep 17, 2006
Pam.

If you look back in the listing under "Dark and Pool Color Prints from PS 9.01 vs PS 6.01" you will find that I have the same problem. I was printing using OSX 10.3.9 (Classic for PS 6.0.1) on a Mac MDD (mirror door drive) Dual 1.25 G4. Printing to an Epson 4000.

Like you this did not happen with the trial version (screen to print matched well). After installing PS CS2 I could not get a match.

Many kind people on this forum gave me good advice. I followed all the advice given (repairing permissions, trashing PS prefrences, re-installing PS). Unfortunately nothing has worked. My solution has been to work in CS2 and print out of 6.0.1, a cumbersome workaround which doesn’t give me all the "bells and whistles" of CS2 printing.

I realise that my workaround isn’t possible for you… but it seems very strange that we both could print out of the "trial version" of CS2 without problem, and that problems only started after we bought and installed the CS2 program.

If there are any official Adobe folks out there on this forum please put on your thinking caps and help us out. Could there be something installed with the "trial version" that is interfering with a screen match once the actual program is installed. Could it be a 10.3.X issue?

Good luck Pam, I hope you can work this out.
R
Ram
Sep 17, 2006
Oooops! Sorry about the bad link in #24.

Let me try again:

Here’s some general information on Epson giclée printing: CLICK HERE <http://www.epson.co.in/ideas/successPHOTOGRAPHY_SKY.shtml>
PS
pamla_sickinger
Sep 18, 2006
Ramon –

What can I say, you are awesome for your providence virtues.. (thank’s for giclee link)…$$$$$$$ will not let me go there now, BUT still great to behold into the future…

Phillip – I sincerely appreciate your "jumping in"….I do not have PS CS….my issues were a bit different than yours, aside from the fact that we both had PS 10.3.X and PS 6.0.1. but nonetheless, I wish you much resolution with your issues…

If an when anybody feels like "jumping in" on this one….I can only use what I have right now….which is PS 6.0.1, Illustrator 9.0.1, and NO layout program….so I have decided to use "printship 2" as a layout program…..

what I did was I first worked in Illustrator to make circle label with mandala type art, and circular text and I saved it as an EPS to the desktop..

Then I scanned in hand-drawn artwork, with the HP scanjet 3570c as a PICT to desktop (I first tried to save it to desktop as a TIFF, but when I tried to place or import it into PS it took so, so long, so I realize I first need to add more HD space if I want to work with a TIff image in PS.

So, I saved as PICT to desktop. (I cannot scan directly into photoshop from the scanner)

Then after "placing" or "importing into photoshop, I then "place" the Illustrator EPS file into the photoshop file, and save it again to the desktop as a TIFF and also change it to CMYK from RGB..

Then I "imported" it into "printshop 2"…..and printed it out on the Canon pixma ip4200….Is this totally NUTSO….I probably have overridden the codes or "language" from the adobe programs, i.e. CMYK, and Tiff, where they become meaningless by the time I print in this way….Does anybody know the answer to this…..

It is hard for me to put it into words, but I am trying to ask if "printship 2" understands these different formats, tiff, esp, pict, etc, when it utilizes them, and also does CMYK take effect in the printing process by stacking things this way…..

I know I told you guys that I was only going to ask a few questions, but I realize that, my questions all changed due to thinking in the box of what equipment I have presently. I can’t emphasize how much that I do appreciate it

I a hope in some small way, someone else can learn something from my worms eye view of all this…..cheers to you all for hanging together here! cpeace pamla
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2006
printshop 2

it is very doubtful that this is a color managed app. and pict?

stick to tiffs and PSDs you will be better off.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections