MQ
Posted By
Michael Quarne
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t seem to be able to find any help on importing negatives off my Epson flatbed Scanner.

Any suggestions or do I need to get a negative only scanner?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
RSD99
Aug 27, 2004
I do it all the time … answer a couple of questions, and someone here can probably help you.

(1) Which model "Epson flatbed scanner?"

(2) What operating system are you using?

(3) What scanning software are you using?
– Epson Scan
– SilverFast
– ViewScan
– Etcetera

"Michael Quarne" wrote in message
I don’t seem to be able to find any help on importing negatives off my Epson flatbed
Scanner.
Any suggestions or do I need to get a negative only scanner?
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 27, 2004
I have never worked with negatives. But if you can scan them and save them to a folder, then just open the image in Elements and hit Ctrl-I. This will invert your image to a positive one. For those who know more about working with negatives, I apologize if this is not good information. Hopefully, someone else will set me straight.
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 27, 2004
Michael,
To scan negatives or slides , you need a "transparency " adaptor, which provides a light source from behind the negative. Epson Perfection "Photo" series scanners seem to have them built in. Depending upon your scanner model, a transparency adaptor is available for $99 from Epson . When you use the Epson driver to scan negatives, you set up the TWAIN interface for negatives rather than photos, and the driver does the major color inversion and delivers a "correct color" ( well, better than the negative image <G> ) image to Elements .

If you have the transparency adaptor, set up the driver, and scan at the max optical resolution of your scanner.

You might take a look at <http://www.scantips.com/> .

🙂

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 27, 2004
Michael,

Also, after opening PSE…

File>Import and choose you scanner stuff (I have an Epson and I choose Twain)

Now my scanner driver is open where I set up my scan and then perform it.

I close the scanner software and my scanned image is on my workarea in PSE.

Is this how you were doing things?
MQ
Michael Quarne
Aug 29, 2004
Hi Jim, Thanks for the reply. I followed your suggestion and the image did change from Dark to light, but still not usable.

The problem could be my flatbed scanner as suggested by other replies
MQ
Michael Quarne
Aug 29, 2004
Hi brent, Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure what you mean by, "set up the TWAIN interface." This Perfection 2400 Scanner came with Epson’s Twain 5. I tried updating the twain software but then Smart panel wouldn’t work, (use the PDF feature frequently,) so went back to "5."

Can you elaborate on the Setup you suggest?

Michael
MQ
Michael Quarne
Aug 29, 2004
HI Nancy, Thanks for the Reply.

I like to use Twain 5 from Epson because it allows me to scan and save doc’s as PDF files. This feature doesn’t work if I update to the latest Twain from Epson.

I follow your routine exactly, so the problem must be my scanner being photo and not film. All though it has a plastic plate that I can slide Negatives into and place on the bed. Slides seem to be ok, so I am lost as to why unless it is as appears, the scanner itself.
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 29, 2004
Michael,
You have to be using Manual mode, then you’ll get a configuration screen. This is in Epson Scan version 1.25 , which I downloaded from the Epson site.
< http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bbertram/TwainSetti ngs.jpg>

is how the setup looks for my scanning color negatives. You can check out the drop down boxes for other options.
I’m using the 2400 also, so we’ve got the same box.
Image of my 2400 with the lid up and the top plate removed showing the upper light source for transparencies.
< http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bbertram/Epson2400. jpg>

🙂

Brent

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections