Multi Channel with Clipping Path… Am I dreaming?

HB
Posted By
Hartley_Batchelder
Mar 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a 2 color book that is being illustrated. The illustrator is using Photoshop to create 2 color illustrations. These are saved as DCS 2, in Multichannel mode. I was talking to the designer today and have been told that the illustrations will be placed on tints and or patterns.

Is there a way for anyone to make a 2 channel image in Photoshop that will either have no background or with a clipping path?

What is happening when I try that now is that the image will only place into InDesign one channel at a time with a path.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Mar 5, 2009
forget the clipping path just save the files as PSD with the background off and place that in ID.
JS
Jeffrey_Smith
Mar 5, 2009
Hartley, this can be done, albeit a method without clipping paths and a few things to consider. You can create this art in PS with a layer (no background) and with the spot channels, then save as a Photoshop PDF. In the "Save as" dialog, make sure to enable Layers and Spot Colors. In InDesign for the art to preview correctly you will need to enable View > Overprint Preview. Note that without the Overprint Preview turned on, the art will export and print properly anyway.

Also note the spot channels will have a multiply effect over elements placed in InDesign. If you need the spot channels to knock out, instead of overprint or multiply, you will then need to create a white knock out area made in the CMYK channels. And this can be done by selecting each spot channel, and then filling with white in the CMYK channels.
JS
Jeffrey_Smith
Mar 5, 2009
Or better yet, as Buko posted, save as .psd file. And you can ignore all the knock out clutter.
HB
Hartley_Batchelder
Mar 6, 2009
Thank you both for the helpful responses.

I found that even with the overprint preview on and High Quality display on the .psd files displayed as grey boxes in Indesign. If I save the file as a pdf it displays correctly.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections