Posted By
Joshua_Lindsey
Mar 22, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone

I just recently upgraded to CS4 Master Collection in hopes of using it with my web design job I was hired for. Whenever I go into Photoshop CS4 Extended and I try to "Free Transform" something (an image, a shape, etc) and either the canvas goes black and doesn’t respond for awhile, or it has these purple shapes that show up on a black background and they are pixelated. I do apologize if I am not describing this very well. You can see what I am talking about here on this link where I took a screenshot and posted it.

<http://twitpic.com/2c2c2>

The graphics hardware in my iMac are as follows:
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0391
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3022
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes

I never have nor have I ever had this issue in Photoshop CS3. I look forward to everyones help and responses to this matter. Thanks in advance!

Josh Lindsey

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Mar 22, 2009
Did you update to Photoshop 11.0.1?

What exact version of the OS?

How much total installed RAM? How much V-RAM on the video card?

How much available disk space? Do you have a dedicated scratch disk?

The more details, the more likely an answer can be found.
P
PShock
Mar 22, 2009
Joshua –
Try disabling the OpenGL features. (Preferences > Performance) OpenGL problems are hit or miss even on the latest equipment and your machine is several years old.

-phil
JL
Joshua_Lindsey
Mar 22, 2009
Ramon,

I updated to 11.0.1

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6 which currently is the latest version.

I have 3GBs of RAM installed, and 256 MB of VRAM Installed.

I have 212.19 GBs left on my internal hardrive "Macintosh HD". I do not use a scratch disk with Photoshop. Do you think I should do this even though it may no be the cause of my problem?

Phil, That was it! I think in conjunction with Updating Photoshop, and turning off Open GL fixed the problem. Photoshop runs so much more smoother now then ever before. I can’t thank you all enough. I hope you all have a great week.

Josh LIndsey
P
PShock
Mar 22, 2009
I have 212.19 GBs left on my internal hardrive "Macintosh HD". I do not use a scratch disk with Photoshop. Do you think I should do this even though it may no be the cause of my problem?

You always have a scratch disk in use, even if you’ve never set it. By default, it’ll be your startup disk.

You would benefit with an external FW drive set as a scratch disk (ideally, FW 800), but it may not be significant since you only mention web uses. It would also depend on how many apps you have running at once. The OS uses virtual memory (scratch disk), in addition to PS, so if both are hitting a single drive at the same time, you’ll really feel a bog. If you’re happy with current performance, you can probably get by without a separate drive. If you more, it will help.

-phil
JL
Joshua_Lindsey
Mar 22, 2009
Okay, so really if I am running alot of stuff on my Mac at once when I use Photoshop it would speed things up if I had a scratch disk? I have 2 LaCie drives attached via Firewire 800. One if for Time Machine back ups and the other is for Final Cut. Do I have to have the Scratch Disk Drives connected every time I need to open a Photoshop Project I have been working on?
CM
Chandler_Moss
Mar 31, 2009
this fixed the program error for me, at least for the time being. i do use the opengl drawing thing quite a bit though, i hope they fix this. i also hope its not my machine (1 year old macbook pro). i also speeded things up on my machine by having a separate scratch disk that i plug in (a firewire 800 drive) which i thought was the program error problem at first. some of the files that were not able to open i was able to initially open by duplicating them and then opening them. but not today–i haven’t been able to open anything until i turned off the opengl drawing preference. good luck whoever you are! i know how frustrating this is–believe me, i almost slammed my computer on the ground today when it wouldn’t open my files!

note that overall the opengl feature, i feel, is pretty rad though–i love being able to draw and rotate the entire canvas to match the orientation of my drawing capabilities!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections