Posted By
Sean_Hoover
Apr 1, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey folks

I created a document and saved it as a .psd. Then later I tried to save it as a jpeg, but I wasn’t given that option. I could save it as a .tiff and a few other extensions but not the .jpeg. Anyone know why?

Thanks

Sean

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

O
OldBob
Apr 1, 2009
Is it 8 bit?
S
Savageduck
Apr 1, 2009
On 2009-04-01 12:25:39 -0700, OldBob said:

Is it 8 bit?

Yup. Change Image/Mode from 16 Bit to 8 Bit and all should be well.

Regards,
Savageduck
B
Buko
Apr 1, 2009
its 16 bit
SH
Sean_Hoover
Apr 2, 2009
Like Buko says

Its 16 bit.
H
hybam
Apr 2, 2009
Then you need to make it 8 bit.
SH
Sean_Hoover
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks! That did it. But why does it have to be 8 bit to be saved as a jpeg?
SG
steve_guilhamet
Apr 2, 2009
The JPEG format doesn’t support 16 bit and Ps doesn’t auto-downsample for this case, unlike Save for Web. This comes up quite frequently, and we have reports in our database to consider changing the behavior.
R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
Why do folks who are not thoroughly familiar with the JPEG format use it in the first place?

It’s an always-lossy format that keeps deteriorating every single time you save it or re-save it, it doesn’t support transparency, and it’s meant to save space on disk and in uploading/downloading. Why would you want a 16-bit JPEG?

It just boggles my mind.
R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
Reading up on file formats was the very first thing I did after acquiring my first Photoshop license years ago. Otherwise you’re flying blind when opening and/or saving your first file.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections