Reconnecting photos to PS5? Missing files linked?

P
Posted By
plmurphy2004
Jun 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Apparently PS5 has a proprietary way of identifying imported photos stored on the hard drive. I import them from the camera**PS sees the pics**if I create folders in which to file them, they become disconnected from PS. How does one get them reconnected so they can be used in a finished creation or catalog?

PS just says "missing file". It wants the original IMGxxxxx number which only exists in the mind of PS since all have been renamed and categorized. Interesting that Picassa, free software from Google, does exactly what I want.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 27, 2007
First, PS 5 is ancient, we are up to PS 10 now. Are you talking about Elements or something. I have never heard of the problems you speak of.
P
plmurphy2004
Jun 27, 2007
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 5.0 NEWEST VERSION FOR PHOTOEDITING

If you never heard of "reconnecting", then I question how familiar you are with the software.
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 27, 2007
Before you make yourself look any more foolish than you already do, this isn’t the Photoshop Elements forum.

This forum for the full version of Photoshop. If you’d mentioned Elements in your post you could have avoided this. The Elements forum is here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 27, 2007
If you never heard of "reconnecting", then I question how familiar you are with the software

And if you’ve never heard of "politeness" I’d question how familiar you are with the concept of asking for free advice from the kind people here on the User to User forums!
P
plmurphy2004
Jun 27, 2007
To all, I appreciate being re-directed to the correct forum. As usual Adobe makes things difficult, even to find the right forum. You are right–this is my third time around with Adobe Premiere/Elements/Photoshop/Album or whatever–I am foolish. Fool me once it is your fault, fool me twice let alone three times, it is clearly my fault. Viva Picassa.
P
plmurphy2004
Jun 27, 2007
For those who have never heard of a reconnect files issue in Photoshop: Topic
Files won’t RECONNECT

Bill Salopek – 02:56pm Feb 11, 2005 Pacific

I recently migrated from one computer to another…my Windows user name was not the same on the new computer, so my backup (not the PSE backup program) restored to folders using my former username on that old computer.

From reading the PSE help files, it sounded like I could just move all those picture files into the correct folder, and PSE would reconnect them.

Well what happens is that PSE finds them all…or 99% of them…and the files names, dates, and all are EXACTLY the same…yet PSE will not automatically connect them…it wants me to pick the files ONE BY ONE according to what it has found as "close matches"…but again, the "close matches" are actually IDENTICAL.

I have 14,000+ photos…I can’t sit here and click "connect" 14000 times.

Why won’t PSE automatically reconnect these files?

Thanks…

———————————————————— ——————– | Back to Topic List | Bookmark | Subscribe
To start a NEW discussion click on the Back to Topic List link and select Add Topic. If you are in an archive forum please go up to the main topic list (archives are read only).

Messages 16 messages. Displaying 1 through 16.
First Previous Next Last Show All Messages

Bill Salopek – 12:07pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#1 of 16)

I need some help here…anyone?

Thanks…

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Colin Walls – 12:30pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#2 of 16)

Have you just done File/Reconnect/All missing files?

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Bill Salopek – 12:49pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#3 of 16)

Yes….that’s what I’m saying…when I do file/reconnect/all missing files, PSE finds almost all the files (or maybe even 100% of them, I haven’t counted), but only considers them close matches, when if fact, besides moving them from one folder to another, the files are IDENTICAL.

PSE wants me to reconnect 14,000 files manually, one click at a time.

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Colin Walls – 1:04pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#4 of 16)

Do you have a backup of the catalog before you did the Reconnect?

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Bill Salopek – 1:24pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#5 of 16)

I backed up using a 3rd-party backup program for all my pictures…I also, in a separate operation, copied the mycatalog.psa (can’t remember right now the exact file name), and placed it in the default PSE location on the new notebook.

In the meantime, I restored the 3rd-party backup to the new notebook, which put the files in a folder structure that mirrored the original backup.

This worked great for PSE, as when I ran it for the first time, the catalog looked perfect…all files were where PSE expected them.

However, a few days later, I realized that my default windows name was now OWNER, where it was DAD on the old PC, so PSE was now placing new imported files into a different folder than the originals.

Now I know it really doesn’t matter as PSE catalogs pictures no matter where they are on the hard drive, but I want to have all my pictures in one folder.

So…

I used Windows Explorer to cut-and-paste all those older picture folders to the new path which falls under OWNER (C:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\my pictures\adobe…etc

I then opened PSE and used the File/Reconnect/All missing files function…and again, PSE finds all the moved files (which are identical in every way except for being moved), but will not reconnect automatically.

Thanks…

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Tom Nation – 1:33pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#6 of 16)

I have run into a similar problem, but all within Adobe Photoshop software. I decided to use Adobe’s new "Digital Negative" converter on my Canon RAW files. The new files are in the same place but now have a .dng suffix, new size, etc. I have to reconnect manually, one file at a time, even though, like Bill, the reconnect dialog finds the match. The help instructions also talk about doing a shift-click on the left side of the dialog box but that does not work. I am in no mood to spend 10 seconds for each of 2000+ files to manually and mindlessly click the Reconnect button.

Looks like PSE3 needs a small refinement of either operation (preferred) or help files (easy way out).

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Bill Salopek – 2:19pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#7 of 16)

Right, trying to select multiple files by shift-clicking or control-clicking does not work on the left side of the dialog box, even though the help files says it will.

So we are left with having to manually click each and every file…even THAT might be doable, but it takes PSE 2-5 seconds to reconnect each file…so rapid, regular clicking will not work.

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Colin Walls – 3:03pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#8 of 16)

I used Windows Explorer to cut-and-paste all those older picture folders to the new path Why didn’t you use the PSE Fle/Move command or D&D in Folder view to do this. That keeps the catalog in step.

What I was going to suggest is you could edit the catalog with MS Access.

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Bill Salopek – 8:29pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#9 of 16)

I’ll have to look into the File/Move command…but still, PSE should RECONNECTING the files, correct?

Isn’t the RECONNECT command supposed to, well, RECONNECT the files?

And why does the help files say one thing and the program does something else?

I’m not at home now or I’d check File/Move…can this command be used with multiple (1000’s) of files at the same time? If I have to choose one file at a time, it’s worthless (but then RECONNECT is supposed to do multiple files at a time, and it is NOT doing it).

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– o3v3tz – 9:26pm Feb 12, 05 PST (#10 of 16)

Bill,

My experience in Elements 3 is that sometimes files will reconnect automatically but very often like you have described the match seems to have been found but the Reconnect does not happen. I have not really isolated what the difference is.

In my case, I have usually been working with one folder at a time so I have done manual reconnect of the files while having coffee. Your scope is different.

Barb Olson

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Ronald Hunter – 1:50am Feb 13, 05 PST (#11 of 16)

I quite agree. The reconnect function is broken as regards reconnecting multiple files. Sadly, this forces one to use PSE3 for any file moving in any of the directories watched by PSE3.

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Bill Salopek – 6:12pm Feb 15, 05 PST (#12 of 16)

So this is it?

PSE reconnect is VERY broke…and, well, that’s it?

Do any Adobe people read these messages and respond in this forum?

| Bookmark

———————————————————— ——————– Ronald Hunter – 6:16pm Feb 15, 05 PST (#13 of 16)

Sometimes, but don’t count on a reply on this subject.

| Bookmark

—-
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 27, 2007
….and your point is?

Quite apart from using a large chunk of bandwidth (on something nobody here will read) when a simple link would have done – THIS IS THE PHOTOSHOP WINDOWS FORUM!

None of us here "connect" with Elements – so why would we want to reconnect?
AC
Art Campbell
Jun 27, 2007
So Chris, ya need a hug today? You sound a little cranky. ;- )

I’m always amazed at the amount of humor you can find here….

Art
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 27, 2007
I’m in Victor Meldrew mode today, Art.

(Only the UK sitcom fans will know what I’m on about) 😉
AC
Art Campbell
Jun 27, 2007
I don’t believe it!

You just need to reconnect to your Inner Elements…

Art
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 27, 2007
🙂
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 27, 2007
I have to agree with Chris though.

That enormous post from Mr Murphy did nothing to clarify what is obviously something that PS Elements or Album or something has, which is beyond the ken of us mere Photoshop mortals.

What was the point?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for telling me all about reconnect, but since it does not apply to Photoshop, and I don’t own (and probably never will) Elements, it is pretty much what Chris said … wasted bandwidth.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2007
didn’t someone bring popcorn?!! 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections