Selecting Area(s) with Lasso Tool Than Editing Selection Path Points…?

AB
Posted By
Alex Buirch
Jul 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably a fairly simple question, and I’m mad at myself for not being able to remember how to do this.
I had a Photoshop class in college a couple terms ago, and we were shown how to select an area with, I believe it was, the Polygonal Lasso Tool, than the selection path ("marching ants" or whatever they’re called) had different points which could be moved to get a better control of what was selected.

I’m not really sure if I’m making any sense. But, for example, you could have a picture of a hand and using the Lasso Tool you could pretty much make a basic hexagon around the hand, than you could move the different selection path points to outline the fingers, wrist, ect. to get better detail and control.
What I’m trying to do is select three different areas of an image so I can erase them, and other sections I want to select and recolor. But there are some strange shapes and it’s hard to get the Lasso Tool to get around them perfectly when doing it. It would be easier to be able to outline it than perfect the selection path once it’s outlined.

Hopefully I’m making sense. But how do you do this– show the different points and edit them? Any help would be appreciated.
And in case it’s needed, I’m using Photoshop CS2.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jul 11, 2007
You’re thinking of the Pen tool. Use it to draw a path around the area, and then convert to a selection.
TG
Tom Glowka
Jul 12, 2007
Make sure the rubber band option is checked.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 13, 2007
Or you might be thinking of the Magnetic Lasso. That gives you the points.

But for my money the Pen is better than any lasso, any day.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 13, 2007
…. and it is certainly mightier than the Sword!
A
andycat
Jul 13, 2007
You might be thinking about the magnetic lasso tool. It lays down points as you use it. You can’t select them, but you can backspace to the previous point if it didn’t go where you wanted it to. But the pen tool is what you really need — you can make adjustments to existing points, or add or delete points as necessary.

"Alex Buirch" wrote in message
This is probably a fairly simple question, and I’m mad at myself for not being able to remember how to do this.
I had a Photoshop class in college a couple terms ago, and we were shown how to select an area with, I believe it was, the Polygonal Lasso Tool, than the selection path ("marching ants" or whatever they’re called) had different points which could be moved to get a better control of what was selected.

I’m not really sure if I’m making any sense. But, for example, you could have a picture of a hand and using the Lasso Tool you could pretty much make a basic hexagon around the hand, than you could move the different selection path points to outline the fingers, wrist, ect. to get better detail and control.
What I’m trying to do is select three different areas of an image so I can erase them, and other sections I want to select and recolor. But there are some strange shapes and it’s hard to get the Lasso Tool to get around them perfectly when doing it. It would be easier to be able to outline it than perfect the selection path once it’s outlined.

Hopefully I’m making sense. But how do you do this– show the different points and edit them? Any help would be appreciated.
And in case it’s needed, I’m using Photoshop CS2.
AB
Alex Buirch
Jul 13, 2007
Ah, maybe that is it…
But how do you convert it to a selection? I don’t remember that. And the "rubber band" option? Where’s that located? I don’t think I’ve ever heard about that one.
B
Bernie
Jul 14, 2007
In the paths palette menu:

Make selection
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 14, 2007
Or just hit Ctrl-Enter.

Rubber Band is a checkbox on the dropdown menu on the Options Bar, but it isn’t required for this.
AB
Alex Buirch
Jul 16, 2007
Ah, alrighty. Thanks for the help! 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections