Posted By
Paul_Harold
Jul 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

First post here, and I am looking for some information if possible please.

I just bought a laptop today with great graphics card, memory etc. It’s OS is Vista Home Basic. The guy in the store told me I would have to buy CS3 in order to use Photoshop on the laptop.

I already can I not even use PS7 or the 1st PS-CS on it?

Is the latest elements like? I mainly only use Photoshop to restore old B/W photos anyway, and adjusting contrast in photos. I still only buying 35mm film.lol!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2007
well, though not suppored under vista, cs and v7 have been reported to work (sometimes) by some users here. i’d try it first before spending the money on an upgrade you don’t want. install either or both (and activate, for cs) with vista’s UAC turned off.

that said, cs3 DOES have some nifty new features SPECIFICALLY for touching up black and white images. you may want to check the product page at adobe.com and read up on the new features list.

and finally adobe has changed policy making upgrades available for only 3 versions back. so if you only have 7, you need to upgrade to stay in the upgrade path (get upgrade pricing on your next photoshop upgrade). if you have cs, you have one more version to go before you decide… (assuming they don’t change policy again when cs4 comes out!)

good luck with the new laptop whatever you choose!

dave
PH
Paul_Harold
Jul 28, 2007
I just seen the os I have is Home Premium, does that make any difference to using PS7 or CS?
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 28, 2007
No. but it would toward CS3. CS3 is unsupported under Home Basic.

Bob
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 28, 2007
I would seriously recommend going for Photoshop Elements.

The latest version of Elements is very powerful and much easier to learn and use than the full Monty.

It’s also a lot cheaper!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections