Posted By
tim_st.clair
Aug 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I just installed Photoshop CS3 Extended and it’s overwritten all my file associations (which I’m used to because so many programs all think they know what I want better than I do).

But photoshop has taken is a step further and overwritten all the actions that I like such as being able to right-click a picture and choose PRINT and have the XP printing wizard come up and do it’s thing. I don’t remember there being any option in the setup asking me whether I want this – and I DO NOT WANT THIS. Ever.

How do I tell my PC to reset all file associations and DDE actions away from photoshop.

If I want photoshop to open a file, I’ll run photoshop and use the "open" command.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 1, 2007
Windows Explorer: Tools > Folder Options… > File Types > Advanced.
TS
tim_st.clair
Aug 1, 2007
Unfortunately this isn’t right.

Photoshop CS3 has become the DEFAULT action for the files. So you don’t get an "Advanced" button, you get a "Restore" button. Which restores it BACK TO PHOTOSHOP, not back to before photoshop.

And this is a file-by-file method.

Any other suggestions? Is there a setting or file somewhere that I could run?
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 1, 2007

It worked for me! The "Restore" button re-enables "Advanced".

<http://imageshack.us>

You can add any action in the bottom window, to appear in context menus and you can change the icon.
J
Jim
Aug 1, 2007
wrote in message

Photoshop CS3 has become the DEFAULT action for the files. So you don’t get an "Advanced" button, you get a "Restore" button. Which restores it BACK TO PHOTOSHOP, not back to before photoshop.

And this is a file-by-file method.

Any other suggestions? Is there a setting or file somewhere that I could run?

It might take a registry edit to go back. The Default settings come from the registry. The other (per user) settings are stored in your local registry hive.

You may be able to export the registry entry which defines the default program for each separate file type
Then you edit the exported values to change them to you own desires. Finally, you open regedit and import the file.

By the way, create a system state backup before touching the registry. It is neither fault tolerant nor fail safe.
Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections