Posted By
Lori_Bergmann
Sep 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!
I just found this board and am DESPERATE for some professional advice before I tear the rest of my hair out! I’ve tried to read up on other advice in photography forums, etc. and am now so confused, my head is spinning! If anyone could please help me answer these questions definitively, once and for all, I would be SO grateful!

1) I use PS 2.0, have a Canon G3 and a Nikon D70 digital camera, and I print my photos both at a regular developer and at home on my Epson 2200P. Should I save my .jpgs in a certain color profile when downloading them to my HD or use the automatic ones that come with each camera? Do I need to use different profiles and keep separate folders for each of the different output options?

What’s the best calibration to set my monitor to? I’ve tried using the Adobe Calibrator program that came with my iMac but my pics always seem to print darker with a red cast than what’s on my screen. When I try using the Epson-Adobe file my pics print out really yucky and dark!

2) I’ve read that I should turn off all my color managment and convert my files to Adobe 1998 instead of sRGB to get the best results–is this true? If so, how come I don’t see any other options to tag a file with other than the one I set up when downloading my photos (ie. a .jpg from my Canon only offers their sRBG profile while one from my Nikon only offers the Adobe 1998 I set it up to download with)? Shouldn’t there be some other options to click on later on if I want to change a profile to something else?

3) And finally, I just noticed today that when I tried to change an embedded sRBG profile by unclicking the box and doing a "save as" to replace it over the same file, the next time I looked at the file info, it had gone back to showing the original sRGB profile again! Is this a glitch of some sort in the program?

I just spent hours doing step #3 last night and today, thinking that would help me get better print results at my developer, and was so upset to realize that almost none of my converted files kept the change, even though it said it had in the file info right after I had saved over it! GRRRRR!!

So as you can see, I’m one tired, frustrated and confused person right now! Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!
* Ü* Lori

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 1, 2004
You mention you have an iMac. Please let us know which operating system you’re using and what kind of a monitor you have. We have a number of Mac users who have a lot of information about color management, but there are some variations between operating systems and monitors – CRT vs LCD. The more details the better in this case.
LB
Lori_Bergmann
Sep 1, 2004
Hi, Beth! *Ü*

I have a newer white iMac G4 with the 20" flat screen, using OS 10.3.5. Thanks!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Sep 1, 2004
The adobe calbrator is not intended for use with macs. Go to system prefs>displays>color>calibrate. Start from the imac profile, not whatever you cooked up with the Adobe gamma.

I myself find that I get better results on my imac if I don’t mess with the sliders. Try turning on expert mode, but just click through till you get to the gamma setting. Choose "imac native" (not mac native) and the white point is probably okay. Name the profile and save it. See if that helps.

Converting your files to Adobe RGb if they were not shot in Adobe RGB does nothing beneficial for them. You may choose to print in Adobe RGB space, maybe, but don’t convert your files to Adobe RGB profiles.

If I were you I would start with calibrate your monitor and try no color management for PE, same as source in PE print preview and check the color management settings for the Epson. Double color management (telling both PE and the printer to manage the color) causes a red cast sometimes.

I also found it was useful to set colorsync to my monitor space, even though I don’t use colorsync color management on my canon printer. I have not been able to find out why it makes a difference but for some people it does.
SS
Susan_S.
Sep 2, 2004
Barbara’s advice is good. The drop down dialogue in the print preview menu is easy to mess up. I have a lower end printer and use the printer colour controls, and I have my print preview dialogue settings set for print space "postscript colour management" ("printer colour management" seems to show up in some dialogue boxes but it gives the same result!), which tells Elements not to mess with the colour mangement and send things straight to the printer and allow it to do its thing – "same as source" will also work as Barbara says. I then tweak the printer colour controls in the print dialogue box. If you have decent printer profiles – which you should have with your printer – then you may well do better choosing the profile for your printer/paper combination in the print preview dialogue, and then in the print dialogue box make sure that the colour controls are turned off, and let Elements handle the colour. The sure recipe for disaster is having both a profile selected in the print preview dialogue and having the printer controls turned on.

After callibrating your monitor using the Apple utility, if there are still problems then it may well be worth installing the Ignore EXIF plug in from the Adobe download site – otherwise Elements will read the sRGB tage from the EXIF data and this can overide other colour profile information (particularly if you are using files without a profile attached so you can use the monotor profile as a working space).

Elements isn’t set up to convert from one profile to another easily – you can assign different profiles to untagged files (this changes the colour appearance) but converting is harder – you really need full version photoshop to do this efficiently. There are colorsync applescripts available in the scripts library folder which may do what you want but I haven’t explored them.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections