JR
Posted By
Jim_Royal
Aug 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do a mixture of print and web work. I have developed a workflow for handling colour when creating web graphics, but I’m not 100% sure that this method is the best. Advice is requested.

I have my Illustrator and Photoshop colour settings set to North American General Purpose Defaults. My monitor is set with a calibrated profile.

When I prepare a web graphic in Photoshop and then Save to Web, the colours shift (naturally). To prevent this, I convert the image to my calibrated monitor profile as the last step before saving for web. Then, the colours in the graphic appear as I expect them to.

My question: Is this the best thing to do? Or is there a better way to get the colours I want in my web graphics?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GB
g_ballard
Aug 7, 2004
Imaged> Mode> Convert to (MonitorRGB) Profile has very litle shift BECAUSE you are going from Photoshop (which Converts SourceSpace to MonitorRGB) straight to the monitor’s ‘native’ RGB…

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/saveforwebshift.html>

North American General Purpose Defaults ALREADY sets sRGB (for the www TargetSpace), but sRGB is a small-gamut ColorSpace (for editing/printing/archiving)…NAGPD also leaves Photoshop’s BackDoor wide open…

< http://www.gballard.net/psd/honormyembeddedprofile.html#back door>
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 7, 2004
A Prebinding workflow pretty much resolves all this Adobe confusion Mr. Pawliger…
JR
Jim_Royal
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks for the reply. It seems that the best way to ensure good matches between Photoshop and the web browser is to set Photoshop to use sRGB as the working space for web graphics, and calibrate the monitor to use a gamma of 2.2. That should give little or no colour shift.

But… doesn’t this break a prepress workflow, which requires a gamma of 1.8?

So, if I need to do both jobs, which way do I jump?
GB
g_ballard
Aug 12, 2004
if I need to do both jobs, which way do I jump?

Set AdobeRGB (a high-gamut device independent 2.2 color space) as Photoshop’s WorkingRGB.

Image> Mode> Convert to Profile (sRGB) for the web

Image> Mode> Convert to Profile (TargetCMYK) for the press

Print to the inkjet from AdobeRGB, setting PRINT SPACE to specific Printer/paper/Ink profile, and a NoColorAdjustment-type color management printer setting.

PS:
If your press workflow requires 1.8 gamma, the workgroup is likely closed-shop (in which case have them open their PS Color Settings and tell you their WorkingCMYK — then Convert to their CMYK)…
JR
Jim_Royal
Aug 12, 2004
Excellent. Your expertise is much appreciated. Many thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections