CB
Posted By
Charlie Brookhart
Jan 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a very difficult time trying to figure out how layers work. I have an image that I want to remove some text from. I know that there is a help section on layers in photoshop elements. I have tried following the steps, but the problem is that I don’t get the same options as shown in the examples. The example will say to click and drag the alt icon between the two layers until it changes to several circles linked together. The problem is, no matter how many times I try this, it doesn’t work. The only thing I can get to happen is selecting the layer by clicking. The order options on the layer menu have no effect on the image. In the layers tab, I did notice that once I created a new layer, there was an icon indicating the original layer has a painting on it. I am assuming that this "painting" is the text — this is what I want to get rid of. Since I don’t understand how to work with layers and since the help topic for this feature is not working for me, can anyone help me out?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PD
postman delivers
Jan 1, 2005
"Charlie Brookhart" wrote in message
I am having a very difficult time trying to figure out how layers work. I have an image that I want to remove some text from. I know that there is a help section on layers in photoshop elements. I have tried following the steps, but the problem is that I don’t get the same options as shown in
the
examples. The example will say to click and drag the alt icon between the two layers until it changes to several circles linked together. The
problem
is, no matter how many times I try this, it doesn’t work. The only thing I can get to happen is selecting the layer by clicking. The order options on the layer menu have no effect on the image. In the layers tab, I did
notice
that once I created a new layer, there was an icon indicating the original layer has a painting on it. I am assuming that this "painting" is the text — this is what I want to get rid of. Since I don’t understand how to work with layers and since the help topic for this feature is not working for me, can anyone help me out?

Charlie,

You want to do something, but this must be a new product that Santa placed under the Christmas tree. Do you know how to post images to newsgroups? If you can post this image to a binary newsgroup –
alt.binaries.comp-graphics –

Then Peadge and I could have a look at the graphic with the locked layers and better understand what you are trying to accomplish

You need more experience with the feature of this graphic program Elements – Charlie, Layers are what separates graphic programs from toy drawing/painting stuff.

Think of layers as a stack of transparent sheets. You can and should do things on separate sheets, that way you can always go back and modify one sheet a year from now. Most beginners in graphic programs do not save their images in a form that keeps the images separated, they convert them to single layer images, in Elements they flatten them, and save them in .jpg instead of .psd files.

Charlie please get in the habit of saving your files in .psd, and then only modifying the name to flatten an image for e-mail use.

Let us know when you have posted in comp-graphics so we can help you some more…

JR the postman
CB
Charlie Brookhart
Jan 2, 2005
"postman delivers" wrote in message
I am having a very difficult time trying to figure out how layers work.
I
have an image that I want to remove some text from. I know that there is
a
help section on layers in photoshop elements. I have tried following the steps, but the problem is that I don’t get the same options as shown in
the
examples. The example will say to click and drag the alt icon between
the
two layers until it changes to several circles linked together. The
problem
is, no matter how many times I try this, it doesn’t work. The only thing
I
can get to happen is selecting the layer by clicking. The order options
on
the layer menu have no effect on the image. In the layers tab, I did
notice
that once I created a new layer, there was an icon indicating the
original
layer has a painting on it. I am assuming that this "painting" is the text — this is what I want to get rid of. Since I don’t understand how
to
work with layers and since the help topic for this feature is not
working
for me, can anyone help me out?

Charlie,

You want to do something, but this must be a new product that Santa placed under the Christmas tree. Do you know how to post images to newsgroups? If you can post this image to a binary newsgroup –

Then Peadge and I could have a look at the graphic with the locked layers and better understand what you are trying to accomplish

You need more experience with the feature of this graphic program
Elements –
Charlie, Layers are what separates graphic programs from toy drawing/painting stuff.

Think of layers as a stack of transparent sheets. You can and should do things on separate sheets, that way you can always go back and modify one sheet a year from now. Most beginners in graphic programs do not save
their
images in a form that keeps the images separated, they convert them to single layer images, in Elements they flatten them, and save them in .jpg instead of .psd files.

Charlie please get in the habit of saving your files in .psd, and then
only
modifying the name to flatten an image for e-mail use.

Let us know when you have posted in comp-graphics so we can help you some more…

JR the postman

Thanks for the reply. I did locate the photoshop elements layer tutorial — the one that uses the start.psd file and has various layer elements. I am working on that tutorial.

I’ve actually had photoshop elements for a while now. The image I’m working with is one that I found on the Internet. I would like to learn more about Photoshop Elements so that I can do more than just simple image elements. I will send the picture to the binary group.
CB
Charlie Brookhart
Jan 2, 2005
"postman delivers" wrote in message
I am having a very difficult time trying to figure out how layers
work.
I
have an image that I want to remove some text from. I know that there
is
a
help section on layers in photoshop elements. I have tried following
the
steps, but the problem is that I don’t get the same options as shown
in
the
examples. The example will say to click and drag the alt icon between
the
two layers until it changes to several circles linked together. The
problem
is, no matter how many times I try this, it doesn’t work. The only
thing
I
can get to happen is selecting the layer by clicking. The order
options
on
the layer menu have no effect on the image. In the layers tab, I did
notice
that once I created a new layer, there was an icon indicating the
original
layer has a painting on it. I am assuming that this "painting" is the text — this is what I want to get rid of. Since I don’t understand
how
to
work with layers and since the help topic for this feature is not
working
for me, can anyone help me out?

Charlie,

You want to do something, but this must be a new product that Santa
placed
under the Christmas tree. Do you know how to post images to newsgroups? If you can post this image to a binary newsgroup –

Then Peadge and I could have a look at the graphic with the locked
layers
and better understand what you are trying to accomplish

You need more experience with the feature of this graphic program
Elements –
Charlie, Layers are what separates graphic programs from toy drawing/painting stuff.

Think of layers as a stack of transparent sheets. You can and should do things on separate sheets, that way you can always go back and modify
one
sheet a year from now. Most beginners in graphic programs do not save
their
images in a form that keeps the images separated, they convert them to single layer images, in Elements they flatten them, and save them in
..jpg
instead of .psd files.

Charlie please get in the habit of saving your files in .psd, and then
only
modifying the name to flatten an image for e-mail use.

Let us know when you have posted in comp-graphics so we can help you
some
more…

JR the postman

Thanks for the reply. I did locate the photoshop elements layer
tutorial —
the one that uses the start.psd file and has various layer elements. I am working on that tutorial.

I’ve actually had photoshop elements for a while now. The image I’m
working
with is one that I found on the Internet. I would like to learn more about Photoshop Elements so that I can do more than just simple image elements.
I
will send the picture to the binary group.
The image is posted in the binaries group. I posted the message with the image as an attachment, so hopefully that will work.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections