BM
Posted By
Brian Marsden
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Elements through all versions for some time with no major problems. A few days ago, I tried to crop an image, with the result that a progress bar opened at the bottom of the window with the word Crop at the left end. I don’t recall seeing this bar before but since a crop is normally almost instantaneous, I may not have noticed. The bar progresses to the right in a series of short steps , with lengthy intervals between. After several minutes the bar reaches the end but the crop still does not occur. There is an hourglass and no way to exit except via Control, Alt, Delete and End Process. I have tried various images from scanners, camera and previously stored, with various
extensions, TIF, JPG, PSD and a variety of file sizes. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Elements but the problem remains. All other features of Elements appear to work normally and I have no known problems with any other application. The Crop was working up to a couple of days ago. I did not install any new applications in that time. Any ideas?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Roy
Apr 25, 2005
"Brian Marsden" wrote in message
I have been using Elements through all versions for some time with no major problems. A few days ago, I tried to crop an image, with the result that a progress bar opened at the bottom of the window with the word Crop at the left end. I don’t recall seeing this bar before but since a crop is normally almost instantaneous, I may not have noticed. The bar progresses to the right in a series of short steps , with lengthy intervals between. After several minutes the bar reaches the end but the crop still does not occur. There is an hourglass and no way to exit except via Control, Alt, Delete and End Process. I have tried various images from scanners, camera and previously stored, with various extensions, TIF, JPG, PSD and a variety of file sizes. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Elements but the problem remains. All other features of Elements appear to work normally and I have no known problems with any other application. The Crop was working up to a couple of days ago. I did not install any new applications in that time.
Any ideas?

Hi there.

I don’t know the exact answer to your problem, but the blue progress bar is there in all versions, and usually only appears,(for more than a second or two), if you do not have quite enough RAM installed, or when you are doing something which is using up all your Ram, and the program is struggling to find enough "virtual" memory to complete the task.

Is the crop tool just set to crop, or are some of the more intensive options turned on?

Have you checked on the percentage of Memory allocated to Elements? Is there sufficient space on your Hard Drive for the Scratch Disc? Does your Hard Drive need Defragmenting?

Not a real answer, but it might help a bit.

Roy G

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections