Posted By
Steven_Wolfe
May 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I just upgraded my operating system to 10.4, then installed Photoshop Elements 2.0 for the first time (I’ve been using the full Photoshop for system 9).

The PE install seemed fine, but when trying to either open pre-existing files or open a new file, I get a "could not create a new file because of program error) message.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it specific to OS 10.4?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 6, 2005
I upgraded from Mac OS 10.3.9 and already had Elements 2.0 installed and I just tested it (saving a newly created file) and it worked fine.

Have you tried to repair permission ? Do you have some sort of 3rd party software running (anti-virus, or anything like that?) If so, disable them.

Ray
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 6, 2005
I repaired permissions multiple times (until no errors found). No difference. I have no anti-virus or similar software running.

It’s a well-behaved and polite bug. It just nicely tells me it can’t open or create the file because of a programming error and leaves me in the program ready to go…nowhere, apparently.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 6, 2005
Create a new user, and install under this new user.

Oh, by the way, you did install the BSD subsystem ? I think it’s required for Elements 2 to run. And did you install Classic as well? Elements 2 is a carbonized application (not a true native X application, though it behaves like one). I can’t tell if it requires Classic or not, but maybe it does.

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 6, 2005
Also, just so that we don’t overlook the obvious, you did eat all your vegetables today, right? 🙂

Seriously, have you deleted the preferences ? Hold Shift – Command and Option immediately after launching Elements, and click on Yes.

Ray
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 6, 2005
I did leave a few (like all) brussel sprouts on the plate. However, deleting preferences didn’t make a difference. A do have Classic also installed. I did the shortcut of upgrading to 10.4, rather than cleaning everything out and doing a clean install. I don’t know that the reinstall does anything to the Classic installation, but I just realized that it is telling me that the Quicktime in OS9 is now th wrong version.

I didn’t click that this could be a factor, since I didn’t know that PE was not ‘pure’ OSX.

I’ll try to upgrade Quicktime and see if it works now.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 6, 2005
Ray,

PSE2 doesn’t need Classic 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 6, 2005
Wendy,

I wasn’t sure because, if you check Open In Classic, in the Get Info box, PSE2 will open in OS 9. That’s why I assume it could need something from OS9.

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 6, 2005
Hi Ray,

I know what you mean …

I’m sure that PSE2 works in both OS9 and OSX. I seem to remember having it when I just had OS9 … and it runs just fine on the laptop which only has OSX.

Wendy
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 7, 2005
I’m not sure what ‘the BSD Subsystem" is. Could you elaborate?
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 7, 2005
I update Quicktime for OS9. In an all-to-familiar refrain…no change, still can’t open a file or create a new file.

Any more ideas?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2005
The only time the BSD Subsystem would NOT have been installed is if a custom installation was chosen and it was purposely removed from the list. I did find the following during a Google search, but I didn’t find anything specific to Tiger. This has instructions for getting it back in both Jaguar and Panther, and I assume a reinstall would be needed under Tiger, like it is for Panther. Since PSE 2.0 will open, I don’t think it’s the problem in this case, though.

Do you keep up with the CRON tasks?

– – – –

The BSD Subsystem allows applications to interact with the system through the command lines and is required by such applications in order for them to operate correctly. The BSD Subsystem is installed by the Mac OS X Installer, but you can choose to not install it.

To custom install the BSD subsystem after Mac OS X 10.2 has already been installed:

• Insert the Mac OS X 10.2 Install Disc 1
• Double-click the Optional Installs folder
• Double-click the BSD Subsystem.pkg icon

If you do not see this package, choose File > Find and search the CD for BSD.pkg.

• Enter your account password when prompted
• Select the destination volume that contains Mac OS X 10.2 • Click Continue
• Once installation is complete, reinstall the Mac OS X 10.2.8 Combo Update

If you are running Mac OS X 10.3 and did not install this software, you need to reinstall Mac OS X and make sure that you select BSD Subsystem when you perform the installation.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
When the Shared Library error pops up in other mac apps in OS X (this is pretty common in Appleworks), the solutions are to repair permissions and trash the preferences folders, for starters. If that doesn’t do it, the easiest solution is a reinstall. (There’s another solution but it involves editing the package contents. Reinstall is simpler.)
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 7, 2005
Barbara,
Thanks for your help. I suspect that from your suggestions the details of my woes have been lost as the thread lengthens. In the hopes someone can set me on the right path, I’ll recap my situation and what I’ve tried so far.

I upgraded by iBook to OS10.4 (using the default install), then installed PE2.0. I didn’t have it installed before. When I tried to create a new document, I first get the box where one chooses the document size and names it, then after completing that step I get an Adobe message stating "Couldn’t create new document because of a program error". I believe this is from PE, not the system, because there is the PE sunflower icon in the message box.

I have since repaired permissions innumerable times, removed plist files, reinstalled PE2.0 (though without being able for find an uninstaller to use first, I don’t know if anything was actually replaced), and–now–reinstalled the BSD (though I’m reasonably sure that it was installed with the original upgrade, I’ve never performed a custom install of a system).

After all this, nothing has changed. Any attempt to open an existing file or create a new file in PE is greeted with the message starting with "Couldn’t" and ending with "because of a program error".

Help!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Hmm, when you "reinstalled the BSD", exactly what did you do? If you overinstalled it, I’m afraid you may have trouble in more apps than just Elements.

I think that earlier in this thread someone linked to another post that gave detailed instructions about permissions for the actual files in PE, didn’t they? I don’t know if you are aware of this, but "apply to enclosed items" doesn’t do a thing. You must go through each item individually and change the permissions if needed. Have you tried that?
SW
Steven_Wolfe
May 7, 2005
I thought I’d add the question whether anyone on the forum (or at least reading this message <g>) has successfully installed PE 2 for the first time after installing Tiger? Is my experience an aberration, and others have not had a problem with this sequence of events, or is this particular order of events a problem for everyone who tries it?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Steven, I don’t know about anyone here, but there were a couple of people over at the apple forum who had trouble initially but eventually managed to get it going. Unfortunately, the apple discussions server is down right now so I can’t check to see what recommendations they would have, if any.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Another question: I’ve lost track in this thread, but have you contacted Adobe? Installation support is supposed to be free.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Well. FWIW I did search over at the apple discussions and a qick permissions repair or two and mac janitor seems to have worked for those reporting install problems there.

Have you tried creating a new user or logging in as root to install? In any version of OS X there have always been a few people who could only install PE 2 under root.
JP
jim_pissed_murray
May 12, 2005
I was refused complimentary Adobe installation support for Elements 2.0 on my Mac G4 running OS10.4, because, "We’re sorry, but Elements 3.0 is available now, and we provide complimentary support only for the current version; for a feeÉ". Neat business plan, huh? I am a casual user; how was I supposed to know that 3.0 was available and that 2.0 was now relegated to basÉ child status????

JPM
DJ
Denis_Joanisse
May 17, 2005
Here’s a possible solution:

I was having an almost identical problem with Photoshop Elements 2 (PSE) in Tiger. In my case, I got the "program error" message any time I tried to open a file or create a file when I _wasn’t_ connected to my ethernet connection at work (but it was fine when I was connected…). The usual solutions (permissions, reinstall, …) did not solve the problem. After fiddling around, I did the following:

1. Disconnected from the ethernet (I was thus in the condition in which the problem was expressed)
2. Removed all printer drivers listed in the Printer Driver Utility list.
3. Started PSE and opened a duplicate of an image file in PSE (it worked!)
4. WITHOUT QUITTING PSE, reinstalled the printer drivers I needed.
5. In PSE, selected the new printer driver from the Page Setup dialog.
6. Saved the file in PSE with the new driver selected (this is why I used a copy of a file in step 3).

Since doing this, all is working fine whether I’m connected or not. I suspect a problem in "old" printer driver files carried over from 10.3.x. You may want to do the same to fax settings and the like as well, and also try to inactivate (and reactivate) printer sharing.

Good luck! Denis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections