Posted By
Jayarr_Daza
May 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Having tried for the first time the Raw format in a Canon EOS Rebel 300D but having problem in opening it using Elements 2.0. Seems the .CRW file is not supported when I tried to open it using the Open dialog box of the Elements 2.0 because there is no option or file types for .CRW.

I also tried to convert it using the File Viewer Utility of the accompanied software of the Rebel but got an error during convertion. Using the latter software, I can only view the thumbnail of the shot.

Am sure Elements 2.0 can open it but am just new in this software so am not familiar yet on tweaking the application.

Anyone has an idea on how can I open the file in Elements or converting it to JPEG or TIFF format? Thanks in advance for those who will reply to this enquiry.

Many Thanks,

JayArr

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WB
William_Baer
May 11, 2005
So far as I know, Camera Raw formats are not supported by PSE2. The camera is supported in Adobe’s Camera Raw plug-in in both 2.4 and 3.1 versions which work in PSE3. Camera Raw 2.4 works with PS CS, and v3.1 only works with PS CS2. There is a stand-alone program which can be downloaded from Adobe called Digital Negative Convertor which is in v3.0 and which converts Canon 300D .CRW files to a (.DNG) format which may be supported longer than the proprietary raw files. So far as I know, PSE2 will not accept .DNG format either. It looks like you will need to upgrade to PSE3 to deal with RAW files. There is advantage in doing so and you gain a great deal of control and flexibility over the finished image by using this file format. It is also extra work to adjust and control the image. The Canon 350D, by the way, has a different format from the 300D although the files have the same extension. Camera Raw 3.1 will accept 350D files but v2.4 will not. The Camera Raw plug-in is also a free download from Adobe but will not work in PSE2.
JD
Jayarr_Daza
May 11, 2005
Hi William,

Thanks for enlightening me. Looks like I need to upgrade the PSE2 or buy a PSCS2 software in order for me to use the advance mode of the Rebel 300D. 🙁

Many Thanks,

JayArr
WB
William_Baer
May 11, 2005
You might want to spend a little time at the Adobe Camera Raw forum to see whether PSE3 at $50 or less for the upgrade or PS CS2 at $several hundred is the best way to go for your needs. CS2 is a fairly professional package and will do much more than PSE but may be overkill for the casual or even advanced amateur, while PSE3 is remarkably powerful, works with Camera Raw, and is a lot cheaper. It might even be good economics to go with PSE3 as a learning experience and upgrade to CS2 if and when it appears to be necessary. You might also consider Bruce Fraser’s new version of his book Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2.
JD
Jayarr_Daza
May 11, 2005
Thanks for the great advice.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 11, 2005
Jayarr….

You can download from the Canon Web Site, Digital Photo Professional which will allow you to Process RAW and save as JPEG or TIFF. It’s free.

Colin
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2005
Perhaps you could try to make File Viewer Utility run? What’s the error message? Have you installed the latest version from Canon’s website ?

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections