RAW Thumbnails don’t update in Organiser!

PM
Posted By
Paul_M_Martin
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I tried to find an answer to this problem using the search function with no luck – can anyone help?

Background
– Photoshop Elements v3.0.1 (updated) for PC (under XP) with ACR v3.1 – Photoshop CS2 with ACR v3.1

At the moment I’m not using my DNG files in the Organiser as there seems to be a problem with the thumbnails updating.

If a DNG file is opened in camera RAW from either the PSE Organiser or Adobe Bridge and it is modified, the changes to the thumbnail DO NOT APPEAR in the PSE Organiser UNLESS the image is the ONLY one visible (ie. zoomed in with the largest thumbnail possible) – then it looks as it should, when the thumbnail suddenly ‘changes’.

In Adobe Bridge the changes are visible at all thumbnail ‘zoom’ levels.

This is a MAJOR problem as I’d really like to use my PSE organiser to organise my photos, rather than Bridge (Multiple tags, stacks, etc) but as long as the DNG file thumbnails are not displayed as they should be I’m going to have to put this idea on hold… my DNG images look awful in PSE Organiser – they look fine in Bridge!!

Could this be a known bug which may be addressed in v3.0.2 ??

Thanks otherwise for excellent software Adobe. ACR v3.1 is wonderful.

Sincerely,

Paul Martin
Australia

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PM
Paul_M_Martin
May 13, 2005
I did some more searching and found another user with the SAME problem here: Michelle Cox, "Raw thumbnails not reflecting settings" #1, 18 Apr 2005 7:20 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

Adobe, please help! 🙂

Paul Martin
Australia
CW
Colin Walls
May 13, 2005
Do they update if you request it explicitly?
Exactly what are you doing when you expect them to be updated automatically?
PM
Paul_M_Martin
May 13, 2005
Perhaps I’m not making myself clear – Michelle Cox probably explained it better in her post (which has not had a reply from Adobe, yet)

If ‘changes’ are made to a RAW file using the RAW plugin (from whatever host program) the thumbnail in the organiser does not update. The only way the changes ARE visible in the organiser is if you make the view only show one image at a time (ie. Zoom in to maximum in the organiser view).

Selecting ‘Update Thumbnails’ does nothing to solve this issue.

When I say ‘changes’ to the RAW file, I mean:
– Opening the RAW file in ACR (either within PSE or CS2) – Making some changes (particularly obvious ones)
– Saving those changes back to the RAW file’s metadata

The thumbnails update in PSE’s File Browser, in Adobe Bridge but NOT PSE’s ‘Organiser’… which is a real shame…

Paul Martin
Australia
CW
Colin Walls
May 13, 2005
I guess I am ignorant, as I was unaware that you could save real changes back to a RAW file – I though you needed to save as a 16 bit PSD or whatever.

which has not had a reply from Adobe, yet

And probably won’t. This is a user-to-user forum.
LM
Lou_M
May 13, 2005
Paul,

Colin’s right. As a user-to-user forum, you won’t get an official response from Adobe. There is a bug report form somewhere on Adobe’s site. A search should bring it up.

Colin,

As Paul said, the changes are "saved back to the Raw file’s metadata" which Adobe stores either in a private database or in sidecar XMP files.
PM
Paul_M_Martin
May 13, 2005
Thanks everyone.

I’ve submitted a ‘but report’ to Adobe using their form. Hopefully we’ll see an update. It is such an obvious problem I’d be surprised if Adobe hadn’t noticed it!

Paul Martin
Australia
PM
Paul_M_Martin
May 15, 2005
Ok… I found part of the problem.

I didn’t install the camera raw plugin for Photoshop in the correct ‘shared’ location – This is now FIXED.

This allows the ‘Preferences’ of Camera Raw to show the ‘DNG File Handling’ section which allows the updating of JPG previews.

This only seems to apply if ACR is used in either Bridge or CS2.

This solved the ‘thumbnail updating problem’ in PSE’s Organiser. The Organiser creates its thumbnails using the embedded JPGs, unless the DNG file is shown maximised in which case it reads the DNG & its metadata. If ACR is used within Bridge or CS2 and the thumbnails updated, the changes are reflected in PSE’s Organiser.

However, if you open the DNG with Elements using the Camera Raw plugin (in the PSEs plugin folder), and you make changes and ‘update’ the changes to the DNG file (without ‘editing’ the file), it does not update the embedded JPGs – hence the thumbnails don’t update properly.

I think this is due to the ‘dumbed down’ version of ACR for PSE which seems to omit (among other things) the ability to update the thumbnails…

So in order for DNG files to look as they should in PSE Organiser you need to purchase CS2!!

On a side note, if you make changes in CS2 in the ‘Lens’ section of ACR (a section which is absent in the PSE ‘version’ of ACR) to correct your image, the changes aren’t reflected in PSE’s Organiser at all – either with the JPG preview or the full size preview. They are reflected in Bridge’s previews though… This is the same with every feature of ACR3.1 that is ‘hidden/missing’ when using PSE… A bit silly to have two ‘versions’…

Couldn’t PSE ‘see’ that you have CS2 installed and use the ‘full’ version of ACR??

Paul Martin
Australia
LM
Lou_M
May 15, 2005
Paul,

Yes, ACR in Elements is designed in such a way to ignore (and in fact reset to 0, if you edit it) any PS CS(2)-specific Raw settings. So if you change any PS CS(2)-specific settings in PS CS(2)’s Raw editor, then open and resave in Elements, you will *LOSE* any PS CS(2) settings! Keep that in mind.

Apparently, Adobe hasn’t put any thought into users having both tools installed. I’ve had postings in the past where I suggested Adobe come out with a hybrid tool (some PS CS features, some Elements features) designed for photographers and not artists or commercial designers.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections