RR
Posted By
Raymond Robillard
May 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
She has no problem with the mouse, but the tools are still a bit challenging. Though she’s still very young, she’s promised to a brilliant future πŸ™‚

Meet her here :

http://www.pbase.com/carbone/image/43362078

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 14, 2005
Ray,

She is so beautiful … she just looks like she needs picking up and cuddling πŸ™‚ . Is she yours?

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 14, 2005
Thanks Wendy πŸ™‚ Yes, she’s ours. She’s very young and, indeed, likes to be picked up a lot. She also finds our fingers very tasty… πŸ˜‰

She’s not very adventurous, though. She keeps going back to her carrying box. I think that this has more to do with the fact that’s she’s only been here a few hours yet. In a couple of days, she’ll visit the rest of our home I’m sure.

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
May 14, 2005
Hi Ray, We love cats! She is so adorable, and will be so much fun. We’ve had cats in our family forever(you’ve seen my pictures of Gus), and they are the most fun. And when they get along with the family dogs, even better.

Years ago when we lived on a boat in a marina in southern Florida, most people thought it rather strange that we had our ‘liveaboard cat’, but everybody got used to her, because in the early morning, she would ‘visit’ other boats and walk about on their decks and peek into the windows.
Consequently, she became rather well known. Lilly, and lived to be 20. Our next cat, Tommy lived to 20 also.
I should put together an album for our wonderful cats.
Congratulations! She will be a joy and hours of entertainment for you. Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 14, 2005
Ray,

Oh she is just scared … give her a few hours of peace and quiet (and no flash photographs!) and the little cutie will become much more adventurous. She certainly is gorgeous … has she a name yet?

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 14, 2005
Ray

Here you go: http://www.kittynames.com/

I hope you have better luck than we did. We had a cat for 22 years and we gave her a name which she ignored so we called her Cat. After a while we forgot the name we gave her and she never told us her secret cat name ….. so it was Cat ever after. For what it is worth she never answered to Cat either but came and went as she chose to.

Grant
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2005
Grant : I learned my lesson several years ago.. Cats don’t respond to verbal commands.. This one is no different. As a matter of fact, there is currently no more stuff at anything lower then 3 feet, because she just won’t answer to "Don’t eat my work shoes… " πŸ™‚

Wendy: Too late for the flash.. I didn’t know.. I hope I didn’t damaged her eyes.. πŸ™

Her name is ZΓ©zette (which, phonetically translates to ZayZet, more or less). In French, this means a bunch of hair, tied together, each side of a girl’s head. I have no idea how this translates in English.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
May 15, 2005
She’s a cutie, Ray! Congratulations! Now go to the pet store and get a book on training her. Yes, they do have those, and "they" say a cat is capable of being trained well. I REALLY want you to do this, because it sure hasn’t worked for anybody I know. If you succeed, I’ll drive back there so I can see it for myself! πŸ™‚

No cats at my house; the one I had cured me forever.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2005
My friend said we can forbid her from doing harm to the plants and demolishing the house, either with our voice or a bottle of water (they just so love water). But that’s about it. I douubt we’d be able to have respond to her name or sit or do any sorts of things, on demand… But, if it ever happens, I’ll connect the iSight on the Powerbook and bring it along to film her.. πŸ™‚

Ray
CF
Callum_Ferguson
May 15, 2005
Ahhhhh, Who’s a pretty Puss then, you must be an old softie!!. Cheers
Malcolm
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 15, 2005
Ray,

What a beautiful name … and in English we would say Bunches.

Cats do understand verbal commands and will respond to them but only if they want to … its just a matter of using the same words in the same tone. When Tansy (our cat) is outside I can call her name and she will come home … I started that one when she was little. I would let her out then after a short while rattle her dinner bowl and call her name … when she came I would give her a treat and make a fuss of her. After a short time I didn’t need the dinner bowl and she just comes home when you call.

She responds to quite a few words … so give it another try.

…. and give her a cuddle from me πŸ™‚

Wendy
JC
Jane Carter
May 15, 2005
Hi Wendy, That is how we trained our cats to learn their names and to come when called. The dinner bowl! Now, when anyone is in the kitchen, Gus is there too. It is so much fun to see how each kitten developes their very own personality. Even out of the same litter, they can be different as night and day.
Some have outgoing or comical personalities(like Gus), and some are shy and watchful. Yes indeed, cats are wonderful and so entertaining.
Jane
LM
Lou_M
May 15, 2005
Cute cat with a beautiful name, Ray. (If I understand correctly, we’d call that "pigtails" in American English). ZΓ©zette certainly sounds a lot nicer. πŸ™‚ Take lots of pictures while she’s young.

Our cats know their names, but will only come when it suits their best interests. The surest way to get ’em into the kitchen is to bang two of their dinner bowls together and yell, "Good Stuff!".

They all come a-runnin’.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2005
Callum : I have a love for animals, I like almost all of them (except insects, maybe…). There’s definitively a soft spot in my heart for her right now πŸ™‚

Wendy : She does understand that I don’t want her to play in the wiring at the back of my Mac. But, like all kids, she’s actually testing my patience. A trip to the hardware store this afternoon to buy some cable hiding tricks and that shall fix the problem at hands πŸ™‚

However, last night, I woke up quite a number of times because Miss wanted to drop by and say hello, after all, it was only 2AM.. πŸ™‚ Next night, door is closed. I want to sleep!

Ray
BB
brent bertram
May 15, 2005
Ray,
A second kitty will take some of the pressure off, and provide even more subject matter for the camera <G> .
Kitty buddies < http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bbertram/Trinka-&am p;-Peche-cuddling.jpg>

We have 4 ( plus 2 dogs ) and they are a treat !

πŸ™‚

Brent
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2005
Brent… Wow! My cat wants to fight her own reflection in the mirror, I guess a dog is out of the question πŸ™‚ Besides, we’re not allowed to have dogs in the apartment.

Lou : Pigtails, exactly what I was looking for!!!

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 15, 2005
Ray,

When she woke you in the middle of the night she was just lonely … and she missed you πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Wendy
JJ
Jim_J
May 15, 2005
Ahhhh…. Ray… Just saw the pic. Been studying (again).

She is SOOooooo sweet. I take it she is going to play "cat & mouse" with the computer? πŸ™‚

As to verbal commands… Have you tried, ne mange PAS mes… (fill in the blank)… Maybe she needs cat french. πŸ™‚ Of course… there is always the unfallible FOOD.

How is your tuna cassarole?

As to the second cat idea… be careful… think about good cop/bad cop… Good kitty/Bad kitty πŸ˜‰

Cheers
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2005
I’m just not ready to get a second one, that is, if I want to have a good night of sleep πŸ™‚

Today’s discovery : the washing machine… I do mean the sound that it makes, not that we’ve put her in it πŸ™‚ And it wasn’t a pleasant discovery. But, with all things, there’s a good and a bad side: I discovered the couch was empty inside (in the frame itself) and that it’s large enough for her to fit in there…

As for the computer, she discovered Command – Q exits an application (while walking on the keyboard) and that the mouse makes click-click every time she presses on it. Joy oh joy ! πŸ™‚

LOL !

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 15, 2005
Ray …

I guess that your hands are going to full for the next few months … when we first got Tansy we just used to sit there in the evenings and watch her explore … then rescue her when she got stuck πŸ™‚

Wendy
LM
Lou_M
May 15, 2005
Ray, if you can get her to pay attention long enough (boy, they have short attention spans when they’re young!) open a blank page in a word processor and then move the mouse around on the screen. You could see our cats’ eyes follow the mouse on the screen. Move the mouse back and forth and it’s like the cat is watching a tennis game.

Works really well on the Mac, where the mouse is black (higher contrast).
JJ
Jim_J
May 15, 2005
On the bright side… she won’t ask for the keys to the car when she’s older… although, if she’s not spayed… you will still need to watch out for the boys in a few months. πŸ˜‰

Cheers
GB
Gerald Bilodeau
May 15, 2005
We have two adult cats and were just "adopted" by a border collie who followed our daughter home one night. He (the collie) looks like he’s a little over 1 year old. So far the cats do not like him at all so he stays outside. We open the back door and let him peek in at the cats and he wags his tail while they hiss at him. I wonder how long it will take for them to get used get used to him.

Gerry
JC
Jane Carter
May 15, 2005
Wonderful fun! But I would really recommend that you shut the door to the wire heaven(your computer room for the night). We do, when Gus is here, and he is 9.

Brent, your picture is really wonderful, when they get tired they curl up together and sleep even tho they are "play-enemies" during the day.

<http://www.pbase.com/jcarter/image/2064817>
These guys were arch_enemies during the day, but when they conked out, well they were buddies. Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 16, 2005
Wendy: Actually what needs to be rescued is not the cat, but the various little objects that surrounds… πŸ™‚

Lou : She just discovered something more funny, the shadows !!! LOL

Jim : Lucky for us, there are only females around, but I wouldn’t mind having a few babies from her, in a year or two (time to rest ’til then!)

Gerald : What I wanted was a Teckel, but the landowner said no to dogs, so we were left with rats, mouses, reptiles, birds, hamsters… A cat sounded like a good choice πŸ™‚

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
May 16, 2005
I’d never heard of a Teckel so Googled and learned it’s a Dachshund?
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 16, 2005
Oops… I thought the race’s names were universal… I think you’re right Beth, it’s king of a long dog with short legs.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 16, 2005
Well, the French certainly do seem to understand their dachshunds:

Le Teckel Γ  poil ras est un mΓ©lange de malice et de tendresse

That’s certainly a good description of how ours was.

BTW, never knew that they’ve gotten popular as adjuncts to falconry.
BG
Byron Gale
May 16, 2005
Ray,

Congratulations on the new family member.

For hours of entertainment: Laser pointer!!

With regard to Teckels — my favorite description is that they are "two dogs long, and half-a-dog high". πŸ˜‰ (thanks for the addition of "Teckel" to my dog-vocabulary!)

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 16, 2005
Barbara : so true !!

Byron : LMAO !!!!!!!!

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 16, 2005
Ray …

Looking forward to seeing the next photos πŸ™‚

Wendy
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 19, 2005
Congratulations Ray, You can bet that training works well for cats. She will have you trained in a very short time, and you will enjoy it. Final thought: There is a popular quip seen from time to time, usually on someone’s desk or such, that states, "I’m not deaf, I’m ignoring you." This was inspired by cats! Good luck to you, Larry J. Walker
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 19, 2005
"I’m not deaf, I’m ignoring you." This was inspired by cats!

Our Teckel also knew this saying well. πŸ™‚
LM
Lou_M
May 19, 2005
Le Teckel Γ  poil ras est un mΓ©lange de malice et de tendresse

Hmmm, never took French but did have a few years of Spanish in junior/senior high school.

"The Teckel __ ____ ___ is a mixture of malice and of tenderness." ??

(I’m on Windows at the moment, so can’t use Dashboard to do the translation.)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 19, 2005
Hi, Lou.

Γ  poil ras = shorthaired
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 19, 2005
For a few more pictures :

<http://www.pbase.com/carbone/zezette>

πŸ™‚

Larry : Say that loud… She’s not deaf, and definitively ignoring us, that’s for sure. One she doesn’t ignore is f-o-o-d (and, strangely, water as well) πŸ™‚

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
May 20, 2005
Hi Ray, She has one blue eye and one brown. My neighbours child has this too, and its rather striking, and the kid has bright red hair! All the little girls in his class love him. They fight over him relentlessly in school.
Perhaps he is related to Zezette?
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 20, 2005
Zezette has a few other problems as well (she has a sixth toe on one of her rear leg), one of her eye is misaligned (for the lack of a better word), and she has liquid running from her eyes constantly, requiring daily care. But… She’s just too kind and besides, animals don’t see their problems as we do πŸ™‚

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 20, 2005
Ray, six-toed cats are supposed to be good luck. πŸ˜‰

BTW, are you sure she isn’t deaf? Blue-eyed cats often are.
LM
Lou_M
May 20, 2005
My wife is melting over those pictures, Ray. You captured ZΓ©zette perfectly!
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 20, 2005
Barbara : She hears a few things, that’s for sure (whistle) and she watches Star Trek Voyager with us (and goes totally joyful when they go to warp.. She chases the sound throughout the speakers..!)

Lou : I had never used Sport and Kids & Pets mode on any camera before… She moves so fast! My regular lens isn’t fast enough to follow her. Its widest aperture is too small for indoor fast moving scenes (f/3.5)

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections