AM
Posted By
anne_marlborough
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Did anybody reply to the original message re: AWEX file downloads? I’m having the same nausiating problem in PS7 on G5/OS 10.3.

Can anobody help, I’ve tried Adobe online support, Photoshop telephone tech support and Adobe telephone tech support. The last two sent me here…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 16, 2005
anne, would you please be a little more specific? Are you actually having problems getting the software to run because of the updates? If so, we might be able to tell you how to fix that, although you are on the forum for Phototshop Elements, not PS 7.0. Or are you just annoyed? I can’t tell.
AM
anne_marlborough
May 16, 2005
Hello Beth,

I did a global seach of these particular files and this was the only ‘hit.’ And yes, I am annoyed, I apologize. Did not find a PS7 folder, next time I’ll try that on the first search…

This download begins when I launch the program (every 4th or 5th time). Last night it started while I was in the program and when I tried to access the Photoshop Help in the main menu.

I did a serach and found the files: AWEX.txt and AWEDBDILES4.awe and found them (HD>Library>Applications Support>Adobe>Web folder) and put them in a "disabled" folder in my Photoshop 7 folder. And after several ‘force quits’ and two or three reboots, I am able to launch the program. But that’s the usual fix. Is there a permanent one?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 16, 2005
Okey dokey. You posted under a thread started by a person having trouble on a Mac, so I’m giving you a link to the Photoshop forum for Windows. You’ll undoubtedly get a faster and more accurate response there, since you need a permanent solution for Windows.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b366>
AM
anne_marlborough
May 17, 2005
Thanks for the link but I’m not on a PC. I ‘m on a Mac G5/OS 10.3.8.

Thanks anyway for your time.
WT
William_Terry_Kirkpatrick
Jun 7, 2005
Beth, Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem on a Mac. When I try and open Photoshop Elements 2.0 it trys to download two files (one is AWEXFiles.txt) and my computer freezes.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 8, 2005
I think so! There are two ways to attack, and neither are hard; it just depends on which one seems easier to you.

#1 Take your computer offline, with Elements closed. After you’ve disconnected, open Elements and then go to Edit>Preference>Adobe Online and set the frequency at which it checks for updates to Never.

#2 With Elements closed, go to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web folder. Trash the Web folder. The next time you launch Elements, that folder will rebuild, but the app should open. I suggest you set the update frequency to Never, like above.

I prefer #1, but some people would rather muck around in folders instead of messing with their internet connection. 🙂 There never were any updates to PSE 2.0, and there sure won’t be any now, so there’s no point in going through that routine every time.
AM
anne_marlborough
Jun 8, 2005
George,

I feel your pain. I’ve been enduring this since Dec. 2004 when I updated my Photoshop 7 to an OS X version (new G5/Panther). It’s taken 2 to 3 hours and once went over night, nevermind.

Anyways, an email to Adobe sent me to a Photoshop tech support (1 (206) 675-6303), who could not help with PS 7 but promptly quoted me prices for upgrades and sent me back to Adobe.

Will send you a copy of the first Adobe email with set-up/preferences stuff. Did not help me but may help you.

I basically launch/reboot/force quit several times to get it to stop. Ghastly, I know, will have to upgrade soon.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 8, 2005
Anne, did you try what I suggested in post #10? Those directions were for a Mac. You’ll have to use a slightly different path to get at the Web preferences, but keeping the app from trying to get online should solve the problem. And, of course, I only mean taking it offline long enough to get the Adobe Online preference changed.

This thread has become somewhat confusing by now, especially since you’re posting questions about PS 7.0 in the Elements area, and that’s not to mention the fact George never showed up again! The concept seems to be the same, though.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections