M
Posted By
missar69
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi I am a newbie in PSE3 and i would like to know how i could edit the background of a JPEG photograph. is there some tutorial to perform that task somewhere online? asnwers would be appreciable. thanks in advance
manish

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
Jim_J
May 19, 2005
I think what you mean is JUST the background? There are varying techniques to do this, but part of it includes selecting the background itself.

What is the background like? The more plain the background the easier it is to do obviously.

Something you might want to try first is just making a copy of the image and playing with that and tools like lasso and magic wand.

Cheers
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 19, 2005
An excellent tutorial on selection techniques can be found here:

<http://www.arraich.com/ps6_tips_sselect1.htm>

Although it is talking about PE2 the techniques are about the same in PE3. There is a lot of other good information on Jay’s site.

Bob
M
missar69
May 19, 2005
Hi Jim

its a photograph of my 1 yr old daughter that has a chair just behind her that distracts the beauty of that picture. i was thinking of playing with that picture to get rid of that chair.

thanks for the sugestion.
LM
Lou_M
May 19, 2005
Manish,

Funny you mentioned erasing the background. I just finished reading a chapter describing how to do that in "Photoshop Elements 3, The Missing Manual". It describes how to use the Background Eraser tool.

You might want to use the background eraser tool to erase a "halo" around your daughter, then use a selection tool to select your daughter and copy her to a new layer or new image.

The book is excellent; I highly recommend it.
JJ
Jim_J
May 19, 2005
If it is a chair, it should be too difficult depending on the "background" behind the chair. If is a plain colour, you could select the chair and simply delete it, then use the paint bucket to fill in the space. You might then run something like a blur filter or use the band-aid tool to smooth out the filled section with the surrounding background.

If the background is complex like flowers outside… well.. then you have more of a challenge and you’ll need tools such as the pattern tool or may even need to draw certain pieces.

Have a look at the other suggestions as well and see if something in these help.

Cheers
J
JG1
May 20, 2005
Another way is to create a selection around your daughter’s image only and either moving or pasting her into another photo with a backaground you like or you can create a a new document with a textured background you like in the same size and resolution as the original photo and move or paste your daughter’s selected image into that.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections