MK
Posted By
Masato_Kikuchi
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Photoshop Elements 2.0 on Mac OS 10.3.9 and started it. Upon start, it automatically went into "Updating Adobe Online components from Adobe.com… and "Downloading file 1 of 2…" for "AWEXFiles.txt" and the progress bar moved to a 1/2 point. However, it is stuck there for the past hour. I have a fast Internet connection, so it is probably nothing to do with the downloading speed. Since I couldn’t cancel, I force-quit and restarted the computer and started PE2 again, but the same thing results. What do I need to do to start PE2?

Masato

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
SGBaird
May 23, 2005
I have been having the same problem & and have not been able to use the program for almost a month now.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 23, 2005
I think I have the fix for the OP, but SGBaird doesn’t say what platform/operating system, so…

On the Mac, delete the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web folder.

The next time you start Elements, immediately go to Preferences, Adobe Online and set the frequency at which it checks for update to Never. They never were any for PSE 2.0, and at this point there won’t be. This should take care of the problem.
S
SGBaird
May 23, 2005
Masato: I have solved the problem.

1. Disconnect your Mac from your internet modem.

2. Launch Photoshop Elements (You will get a message stating that your computer cannot connect to the Adobe Server. Click OK.)

3. Open preferences file from the PE Menu, and select Adobe Online. Then choose NEVER as your update option.

4. Quit Photoshop Elements and relaunch it.

Since the folks at Adobe are hard to get to, I filed a bug report on this.
S
SGBaird
May 23, 2005
Hi Beth, as you can see, I had to have a reason to think about the easy way of solving this (and hadn’t had a need for the scanner until this AM), but I reasoned that if the software couldn’t find the Adobe site it would continue to launch – and it did.

No need for anyone to go monkeying with the application support folder to get to this quick and permanent fix.

As for PE3, I wonder if those folks are experiencing any similar difficulties.

I use PE2 on a Mac Mini running OSX.3.9 with a Canoscan LiDE 80.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 23, 2005
There’s always more than one way to accomplish everything, so whatever works.
MK
Masato_Kikuchi
May 23, 2005
Thank you. It worked.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections