MR
Posted By
Mary_Ryan
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I transfer my images (photos) from my memory card (via a card reader) to a CD, the files all become "locked" (read-only files). Is there a way that I can stop the files from becoming "locked" so that I can work on them in Photoshop Elements and then save them back to the CD? Thanks for your help.
I am using Photoshop Elements 2 with Windows XP Home on a Compaq Presario laptop computer.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 25, 2005
After files (any files) have been saved to a CD they are not able to be edited and have the changes saved on the CD without a new burn of the edited file.
JM
Joseph Meehan
May 25, 2005
wrote:
When I transfer my images (photos) from my memory card (via a card reader) to a CD, the files all become "locked" (read-only files). Is there a way that I can stop the files from becoming "locked" so that I can work on them in Photoshop Elements and then save them back to the CD? Thanks for your help. I am using Photoshop Elements 2 with Windows XP Home on a Compaq Presario laptop computer.

It is the nature of CD’s.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
C
Corey
May 26, 2005
You have to copy or resave the file to your hard drive first, work on it, edit it, and then reburn it to your CD. Once it’s on the CD, it’s locked.

Peadge 🙂
CS
carl_sutherland
May 26, 2005
Beth,

There’s a new program out I’ve found call "burnitAgainSam" that will make multiple burn sessions on a single CD. <http://toolsonten.com/en/03TOOLS> I can burn an image to CD, drag it from the CD to the desk top, edit it in PSE, then burn it to the same CD.

In re-reading your post maybe that’s what you said. Is Mary on a Windows unit and those files are handled different than on a Mac. I think I’m confused.

Carl
BH
Beth_Haney
May 27, 2005
Hi, Carl! That wasn’t quite what I meant. I’ve found that some people who post with that particular problem think CDs are kind of like the old floppies – you could modify a file and the changed version would simply replace the original on the disc. This person hasn’t posted back, so maybe I didn’t fully understand their question.
LM
Lou_M
May 27, 2005
Also, on Windows, when you copy files from a CD to your hard drive, they are marked as read-only ("locked"). In Windows Explorer, you have to right-click on them and choose Properties and uncheck the Read-only flag. At least in Windows 2000 you do.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections