R
Posted By
rlevine
May 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would appreciate comments on catalog strategy from those of you with more experience exercising PSE to its limits.

Question A: I want to know if using a modest number of multiple catalogs (vs. one big catalog) will have a positive impact on two concerns: 1. performance, and 2. risk reduction. Tag searches with 4K photos already take noticeable time and I’m assuming that smaller catalogs will improve that. Also, I’ve read chilling stories here about losing catalogs due to data corruption, bugs, etc. and I assume that separate catalogs will minimize that risk, or at least limit the impact to one catalog.

Question B: Will the following work to create multiple catalogs? I have one catalog now — My Catalog (=family + vacation1). I will want family stuff in one catalog and vacation1 in another and vacation2 (still in the cameras) in another. Vacation2 is easy — just create a new catalog (=Vacation2), download the pictures, create tags, etc. For the other two I plan to do File–>Catalog–>Save As and save a copy of My Catalog as Vacation1. Then go into Vacation1 and delete all the database entries for family pictures (but not the pictures themselves!). Then go into My Catalog and delete all the database entries for vacation1 (but not those pictures!). Then get rid of tags that don’t point to anything. (Obviously back everything up before and after.)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin Walls
May 29, 2005
I strongly recommend not going down this route, as there’s no way back. You can split a catalog, but can’t merge them. Multiple catalogs, unless there have very distinct boundaries [like home and business] are just a PITA.

A: If you are heading towards the 30,000 images level that we understand will start to make Organizer creak. You may gain some perfomance benefit. Risk is not an issue if you have a good housekeeping strategy: frequent catalog recovers and backups. If you are paranoid you can write tags to images too.

Tag searches with 4K photos already take noticeable time

Something’s up then. I have a modest computer and a bigger catalog and I find a tag selection takes effect almost instantaneously.

B: Yes. That will work. So long as you have no version sets, collections and saved creations. And don’t mind rebuilding stacks. Much better way is to simply copy one catalog and then delete stuff from each..
N
narya
May 29, 2005
Much better way is to simply copy one catalog and then delete stuff from each..

That’s exactly what he planned to do, isn’t it?

Alexander.
CW
Colin Walls
May 29, 2005
That’s exactly what he planned to do, isn’t it?

Yes, you’re right. I read it again. I was confused by all the "vacation 2" stuff.

Still think having multiple catalogs is a bad idea. Don’t you?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections