AC
Posted By
Andree_Caron
Apr 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
oh gosh darnit, I still don’t "understand" the issue itself.

PLEASE someone explain it, REALLY explain it without getting heated so I can stop fussing over this "issue" and just move on. 🙂

what I have:
PC Vista, PS CS2, Firefox & Safari, CRT Viewsonic A90f, Pantone Huey what I can compare with (Hubby’s computer)
PC XP, Firefox & Safari, LCD Samsung Syncamaster 930b, Pantone Huey

* *on either machine, the shift occurs no matter the white point setting on the hardware or the final profile output. It changes nothing.**

So I can compare between the two and I’m having the red/saturation shift on both computers. I’m working with an sRGB workflow from camera to web.

I’ve tried reading through your whole site g ballard and sadly although much of it helped understand a bit, I just don’t "get" it. Where does issue stem from? IS IT an issue at all?

Another photographer I know only started having this issue recently with her new computer.

Is this "issue" all monitor related? Does it have everything to do with the type of monitor as I’ve been reading near the end of this exhaustingly long thread?

Can someone summarize in "layman’s terms" so that I can finally wrap my head around this? And again, PLEASE, answer completely, it’s easy to get worked up and want to will the other person into understanding, it gets frustrating to repeat ones self, but even reading through everything, there’s something missing that I’m just not getting.

Thank you!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Apr 5, 2008
It doesn’t get any more clear and in layman’s terms than on GB’s web site:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html>
AC
Andree_Caron
Apr 6, 2008
* **To rule out the monitor profile, go into System Preferences> Displays> Color and set sRGB for the monitor profile, reboot, and retest. ***

THIS is what has confused me from the start and what he’s been saying about the "broken profile" YES, it makes sense once your issues are resolved (I JUST resolved them after a month of head banging) but when you’re having the problem, this just doesn’t make sense.

PLUS, 90% of his instructions are for MAC users, I was just at a loss as to what to do with PC Vista.

For you PC Vista users out there, here’s what it comes down to, and how I made it work for me:

1.In VISTA, Control Panel/Color Management.
2.In "Devices" tab, remove your calibrated profile.
3.Click "Add…" and find the file: sRGB IEC6z966-2.1 (also called per it,s "file name: sRGB Color Space Profile.icm) It’s important that both those name the same file as you can have created multiple sRGB IEC6z966-2.1 via Adobe gamma saving them with whatever profile name you wanted, etc.
4. Set it as default and make sure to have removed ALL other profiles other than that one. (it could default back to another for whatever reason).
5. Make sure to remove any calibration software from your start-up menu as it could mess everything up at this point. Check "start-up menu" steps at bottom of this post for those steps as well.
6. REBOOT!

* **This is where you can test that your sRGB profile is good and that your "monitor RGB" soft proofing in PS works correctly. With now sRGB as your monitor profile, there should be no shift when using Soft proofing or any of the other tests asked to be performed. If there is still an issue, then this won’t solve it, sorry.***

7. With "my calibration device, which happens to be the lowly Huey" I had to tell it to reset completely so that it would go back to it’s "out of the box" state. So this step depends on what you need to do to get it "back to basics" so you can start your calibration from scratch.

* **Now for those reading g ballards website, this is where he said to USE A CLEAN sRGB Profile TO START the calibration process and this is what *I* didn’t "get" until today. Doing the above steps infact re-installs a CLEAN sRGB profile.***

8. Calibrate and profile with your device.
9. Everything should be right as rain. Your new monitor Profile should appear in the Color Management Window and you should be dancing on the tables 🙂

"start-up menu" steps for Vista
For those unaware of where to remove programs from start-up menu (for the Pantone Huey in my case, and I’m adding this as I’m posting this in multiple forums)
1. right click the start button/windows Icon, select OPEN.
2. Click Programs/Start-up, delete the shortcut to your calibration software. If it’s not there, then it’ll be in…

….1. right click the start button/windows icon, select Open ALL USERS
2. click Programs/Start-up, delete the shortcut to your calibration software.

Also, in either areas, be sure to remove Adobe Gamma, it will mess with things as well.

I hope this was comprehensive enough for ALL levels of PS users, not just those that already "get" it all.
R
Ram
Apr 6, 2008
Andree,

This is the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum. The Windoze forum is down the hall.

BTW, it’s Mac for Macintosh, not "MAC".
B
Buko
Apr 6, 2008
Andree, don’t you think your post would benefit Windozers if you posted this in the Windows forum? In fact I encourage you to do this as there are many who need this info that will never see your post because it is in the Mac forum.
AC
Andree_Caron
Apr 6, 2008
well, see I hadn’t noticed that little bit of info *said as I turn beat red* yep, I guess it would be better suited to that forum…

um, sorry then, but still, g ballards website had "some" info about PC’s and when I gogoled the issues further, this ist he only forum that came right up.

sorry!

um, then I’ll post the next issue with this onto the "proper" forum, sorry for the mix-up…
B
Buko
Apr 6, 2008
No prob Andree. just tryin’ to help those stuck on the dark side. B)
AC
Andree_Caron
Apr 6, 2008
😛

In any event, it doesn’t actually work 🙁 I forgot that PS has to re-initialize "something" once you re-calibrate. So once I shut PS down and start it up again, the "issue" is there again. I cannot see a fix for this, I’m guessing I’m just not understanding something somewhere.

See, I did strip everything down to my sRGB profile and everything was fine with the soft proofing to Monitor RGB. Re-calibrated, (with PS still open!!) and still fine. Exit and start up PS again, it’s there again. I can "see" why it’s doing it, but I don’t "get" why it’s doing it? Make sense?

What I don’t understand is how some people don’t have this issue and others do. Shouldn’t it be something that happens to everyone, if at varying degrees… or is that my answer right there, it DOES happen to everyone, it’s just barely noticeable to some and super obvious to others?? does THAT make sense?

Darnit, I was so happy when I thought it worked 🙁
AC
Andree_Caron
Apr 6, 2008
Oh and I DO want to go to the light 😉 Finances and DH are in the way! lol
AC
Andree_Caron
Apr 7, 2008
Just wanted to say, as I’ve just finished reading the WHOLE thread, that it was worth every freaking minute. As much as I’ve screamed at some of you for your lack of "bedside manners", I was willing to be just as offending to the newer posters (myself included!) that didn’t take the time to read through this long winded thread to come to terms with the whole issue (and in the end, it’s not an issue with anything as it’s a miss-understanding of color management and display)

I just wanted to add as a life lesson leanred to "read the whole darned threads before posting" 😉 It’s worth the headache 🙂

Thank you.
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2008
glad you learned somthing. Even if it was not what you had intended.
PF
Peter_Figen
Apr 7, 2008
"and in the end, it’s not an issue with anything as it’s a miss-understanding of color management and display"

Exactly, but a lot of people don’t want to admit that they don’t understand the "problem" and will look anywhere else for the answer. As soon as you "get it" the problem miraculously disappears.
AC
Andree_Caron
Apr 7, 2008
Eureka then 😀 I’m actually sending LOTS of people to this thread and urging them to read through the whole darned thing 😉 That and a few other threads that seem to have gone through the same steps and inevitably come to the same conclusions 🙂

Thanks guys and gals 🙂
AS
Anand_Sankaran
Sep 10, 2008
g

Many thanks for this thread and your page. I have a Dell 2408 on mac and was going crazy with the cartoon colors. It works well on Firefox3 thankfully, but pretty much in all other apps, it looks idiotic.
AS
Anand_Sankaran
Sep 10, 2008
@Ramon

It is about saving MY eyesight and sanity – I don’t give a damn about others. You should see reds and greens on the Dell 2408.
GB
g_ballard
Sep 11, 2008
You are welcome, that problem came to light on this threads.

here is a much shorter read on using wide-gamut monitors on Macs

g ballard, "Wide Gamut Monitors" #1, 8 Sep 2008 5:36 pm </webx?14/0>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections