Color and Lighting problem with PE2, please help.

MR
Posted By
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all, I’m hoping someone here knows what happened to my Photoshop Elements and can give some advice. Yesterday out of no where my PE2 program started to display colors and brightness different that it ever has before. I also use Photoshop and Fireworks and the same image shows correctly on those applications as well as in a browser when posted to a web page. I have done a complete uninstall, shut down and reboot and reinstall, I have also reset the preferances at the PE2 start up screen by holding down shift, ctrl and alt.

PE2 is the only program on my machine that is having any type of graphics problems so I’m not sure what’s going on. Here is a link to the screenshots I have taken of the problem to better explain what I mean.

<http://www.5funnels.com/pe2problem.htm>

Fig. 1 shows the image opened in Photoshop displaying the wrong color. Fig. 2 shows the image opened in Fireworks showing the correct color.

I’m confused by what’s happining and did a little test. I reset both stroke and fill boxes to white and opened the Image. Fig. 3

Then I selected the color off of the object. Fig. 4

Then I closed the file and the fill color changed to the correct color as seen in Fig .5

Fig. 6 I posted to show the differance in how dark the images are now. I took a screen shot of PE2 with a picture and copied it into fireworks and then took the same image in fireworks and overlayed it in the bottom right.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what is happining here. Again this just started and was not fixed with a complete reinstall of the application.

Thanks in advance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 3, 2005
Is the reason I’m not getting any responses because no one knows or has any ideas? If so is there another place I should be asking this? Possibly an official adobe thread?

Thanks again in advance.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 3, 2005
Mikel,

It is an odd one … my first thoughts were that your monitor need calibrating. Although that isn’t something that usually happens overnight … but it is worth trying it.

Do let us know if it improves after a recalibration.

Wendy
MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 3, 2005
Wendy I had started to recalibrate through the gamma loader, but then stopped as I realized that no other applications had this problem So if it was the monitor it would seem it would appear the same in all applications. Also as you can see from my images the color goes back to the correct color after closing the image in Photoshop Elements. What’s really crazy is that when the image is open you get a completely different RGB value for the blue. Then like I said close it and it changes.

Possible that it has something to do with the fact I have a dual monitor setup? But then again I have tried the application on both monitors and it’s the same. I’m running a 9800pro with dual outs on Windows SP2 if that helps as well.
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 3, 2005
Did you try resetting the preferences? This cures many a PSE problem that seems to come out of the blue. Do do this, hold Alt-Ctrl-Shift while starting PSE (the timing is critical, you may have to try this several times). A dialog box will pop up with the question "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings file?" Click YES.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 3, 2005
Mikel,

It is likely that Elements is the only colour managed program on your PC … so its worth trying out calibration.

Wendy
MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 3, 2005
Mark Yes I I have tried that several times now both before and after the reinstall.

Wendy, well I’m gonna give it a go right now. Quick question though. Does Illustrator get color managed as well? If so that’s on this machine and seems to work fine.

Regardless I’m gonna try it and cross my fingers.
MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 3, 2005
MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 3, 2005
Well guess what. It worked on my primary monitor but not my secondary. They have always been somewhat different (I thought it must be due to the DVI out on the secondary)and still are. I’m confused why it did the same blue on both before. But now the primary shows like the fireworks file did and the secondary monitor shows it like it was in the royal blue color. Hmmm now to figure out how to use the gamma calibration tool to do my second monitor. Anyway, worse case scenario is I can now run it on my primary and not move it over.

Thanks to you both.

Hmmmm before I go I just had a thought. is the reason when the image was closed the color swatch changed to the correct one because the actual palletes aren’t color managed? Is it only the files being opened that are?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 3, 2005
Hi Mikel …

…. well I’m so glad that it worked 🙂

Hopefully someone who uses two monitors will be along soon and will be able to tell you how to calibrate your second monitor.

Not sure about the palettes query but it does sound like it.

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 3, 2005
Mikel

While it is very difficult to tell the problem from a distance my gut feeling is that you are using two different colour spaces. If you are viewing a file in one program as sRGB and in another as, say, Adobe RGB the same image will appear to be different. Anyhow just a thought.

Grant
N
nannygoat
Jun 3, 2005
I keep having this nagging feeling that somewhere I read that with a dual monitor setup only one will be set up by the Gamma Loader/profile (which could by why people keep all their palettes on one monitor and the image on the calibrated one).

But, it is possible this was only something I heard in a dream ;)…
JM
Joseph Meehan
Jun 4, 2005
wrote:
Hello all, I’m hoping someone here knows what happened to my Photoshop Elements and can give some advice. Yesterday out of no where my PE2 program started to display colors and brightness different that it ever has before. I also use Photoshop and Fireworks and the same image shows correctly on those applications as well as in a browser when posted to a web page. I have done a complete uninstall, shut down and reboot and reinstall, I have also reset the preferances at the PE2 start up screen by holding down shift, ctrl and alt.

PE2 is the only program on my machine that is having any type of graphics problems so I’m not sure what’s going on. Here is a link to the screenshots I have taken of the problem to better explain what I mean.

<http://www.5funnels.com/pe2problem.htm>

Fig. 1 shows the image opened in Photoshop displaying the wrong color. Fig. 2 shows the image opened in Fireworks showing the correct color.
I’m confused by what’s happining and did a little test. I reset both stroke and fill boxes to white and opened the Image. Fig. 3
Then I selected the color off of the object. Fig. 4

Then I closed the file and the fill color changed to the correct color as seen in Fig .5

Fig. 6 I posted to show the differance in how dark the images are now. I took a screen shot of PE2 with a picture and copied it into fireworks and then took the same image in fireworks and overlayed it in the bottom right.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what is happining here. Again this just started and was not fixed with a complete reinstall of the application.

Thanks in advance.

How about checking to see if there are new drivers available for your video card.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 4, 2005
I don’t run a Windows machine, but, on my Mac, I have a setting that will let me choose the primary monitor. When I calibrate using my Spyder2, I have to do one monitor as primary, and then I switch and make the second monitor primary and calibrate it, and then I switch back again. I’m sure Windows has that option, too. The path would obviously be different, but to change monitors on the Mac, I go to System Prefs>Hardware>Displays. Look in your Control Panel to see if you have something similar. It’s probably very close to where you set the resolution.

Nancy is correct, in that you can only calibrate the "primary", but as long as you can find a way to switch them temporarily you’ll be able to calibrate both.

Edit: I just reread your last post. Do you have one monitor that’s an LCD and another that’s a CRT? If so, that LCD won’t calibrate properly with Adobe Gamma.
MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 4, 2005
No, they are both crt one is just off a converter on the DVI output. I do know how to change the primary monitor so I’m gonna try that right now.
MR
Mikel_Reynolds
Jun 4, 2005
well I attempted to change my monitors and set them. On my desk they are 1 – 2, When I changed them they became 2-1. I did the gamma set up on both and they both displayed correctly. Then when I changed them back so the primary was on the left (1-2) the number 2 didn’t work again. It’s fine I suppose that I have to use PSE2 on the primary as long as I have that. Or I might just have to install the whole catalyst pkg again and see if that helps. Right now I’m just running straight drivers for the video card and no extras. I might just give it a shot.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 4, 2005
You do have the most current drivers for the video card, don’t you? By the way, I’m not familiar with the term "catalyst." Is that important?! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections