W
Posted By
windtrader
Jun 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I started with digital imaging using PSE1 when it came out and upgraded to Photoshop CS. I also purchased PS Album when it came out since it is small, fast, and very easy. It is a snap to get images off the digicam, quick and easy photo enhancements, and having them cataloged in a simple and easy to use manner. The combination works for me but am I missing anything by not using PS3?

The way PS3 is marketed downplays any of the PS "lite" digital imaging features and really emphasizes photographic handling features. But from what I read here it seems PS3 is a combination of the earler PSE functions AND the PS Album features.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 5, 2005
But from what I read here it seems PS3 is a combination of the earler PSE functions AND the PS Album features

Yes. The Editor part is updated, but I guess that would be of very limited value to you. The Organizer part is, in effect, "PSA 3". There are some nice enhancements to the organizing capabilities.
S
Sepen
Jun 6, 2005
If you have been using CS, the obvious upgrade path would be CS2… The new Adobe Bridge would pretty much replace the need for Album.

Going to PSE 3 would remove or seriously change a good number of the features you might be used to using in CS at this point.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 6, 2005
If you have been using CS, the obvious upgrade path would be CS2… The new Adobe Bridge would pretty much replace the need for Album

There are those who would argue that Bridge is less effective, particularly if you’re used to Album. A CS2 upgrade costs 2X-3X the price of PSE 3 retail.

Going to PSE 3 would remove or seriously change a good number of the features you might be used to using in CS at this point

Nobody’s taking CS away. It integrates seamlessly with Organizer. You end up with a 4 level editing environment:
1) Organizer internal – for soemthing very quick and easy
2) Editor quick interface – for slightly more demanding jobs
3) Editor standard interface – for almost all normal photo editing
4) CS – for professional-grade features or if you’re just used to it
W
windtrader
Jun 6, 2005
Thanks for the responses. I had a chance to demo PS3 and as soon as I started it, it became obvious what Adobe did – basically bundle PS1/2 and PSA together and market up the photo handling (PSA) features.

I still like the features rooted from PSA, as it makes capturing, saving, and doing very fast and simple photo cropping and enhancements.

As stated above, Adobe provides a capabilities "ladder" to provide one with whatever level of imaging result required.

I will look at the Adobe bridge feature in CS2. I’ve been too lazy to do the upgrade and it appeared the main new feature is auto-perspective. I guess I missed the Bridge.
D
deebs
Jun 7, 2005
Ah the Healing tools are wonderful too

(feeling blue – 30 day trial expired 🙁 )
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 7, 2005
windtrader, Russell Brown’s site (www.russellbrown.com) has a video tutorial on using Bridge that explains its features pretty well.
W
windtrader
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks deebs and Barbara,

I had a chance to look at CS2 a bit more and see that Bridge is actually a feature Adobe highlights in its marketing info.

So, I went ahead and did the CS2 upgrade. I started Bridge – it did not find any of the PSA albums I had, which I am not suprised since PSA – CS2 is not a common upgrade path, if at all. Still, it left me with the manual chore of finding all the files and directories PSA used to store the stuff and manually "link" them into Bridge.

Then I wanted to bring in a few snaps from my digicam; hooked it up and then wandered around Bridge trying to find the button to load them up. No such thing I could find in Bridge that has those simple PSA features. They must be elsewhere – maybe the "Orgainizer".

I’ll go see the vid tutorial but I suspect this is the wrong tree. I’m begining to wonder if I should not have deleted PSA from my system yesterday.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 7, 2005
Colin,

A CS2 upgrade costs 2X-3X the price of PSE 3 retail.

Just to make sure we’re comparing apples with apples here, CS2 upgrade from CS is 149$*, and PSE3 for Windows, on CD, cost 99.99$* (all prices in U$). So, it’s not even 2x the price, it’s more like 1/2 more. And for all the functionnalities CS2 brings, I think it’s well worth the upgrade price.

Ray
* Prices from the Adobe on-line store.
W
windtrader
Jun 7, 2005
I agree with Ray that the cost upgrade is not all that much, especially if you need the advanced features. Some of the other are quite elegant and may be worth the cost.

After exploring Bridge and viewing the Russell Brown video (very nice) it is clear that many these features provide a lot of control in the area of image management, more so than image manipulation, although there are batch features for this as well.

I still did not find any similar feature to that of PSA, where one can simply plug in a digicam, load them in, quickly scan through them, toss out the duds, make a few simple crops and image tweaks, then store them away in an album/folder for easy future reference. Even with a few new cool image enhancement tools in CS2, it seems to me that PSA3 is the far better choice for all but the professional digi photog and traditional graphic folks.

Since I use PS-CS the upgrade to CS2 makes sense on its own merits, even without Bridge. PSA (any: 1/2/3) is still tops for quickly and simply getting digi photos off the cam, classified, and saved on my system.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
So what are you going to do with PSA2?! 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 7, 2005
Still looking, Beth? 8^)
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
Yup. 🙂 I’d even settle for PSA1!
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 7, 2005
wrote
Yup. 🙂 I’d even settle for PSA1!

Beth,

I have PSA1 collecting dust, here…

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
I love it! bhaney at speakeasy.net ?? Please? 🙂 We can negotiate?
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 7, 2005
Beth,

You’ve got mail.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
Thank you, Byron! 🙂
OC
Oliver Costich
Jun 21, 2005
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 00:05:05 -0700, "Colin Walls" wrote:

If you have been using CS, the obvious upgrade path would be CS2… The new Adobe Bridge would pretty much replace the need for Album

There are those who would argue that Bridge is less effective, particularly if you’re used to Album. A CS2 upgrade costs 2X-3X the price of PSE 3 retail.

I use CS2 and left PSE3 on my system because the Organizer is far more useful than Bridge.
Going to PSE 3 would remove or seriously change a good number of the features you might be used to using in CS at this point

Nobody’s taking CS away. It integrates seamlessly with Organizer. You end up with a 4 level editing environment:
1) Organizer internal – for soemthing very quick and easy
2) Editor quick interface – for slightly more demanding jobs
3) Editor standard interface – for almost all normal photo editing
4) CS – for professional-grade features or if you’re just used to it
OC
Oliver Costich
Jun 21, 2005
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:48:16 -0700, "Raymond Robillard" wrote:

Colin,

Just to make sure we’re comparing apples with apples here, CS2 upgrade from CS is 149$*, and PSE3 for Windows, on CD, cost 99.99$* (all prices in U$). So, it’s not even 2x the price, it’s more like 1/2 more. And for all the functionnalities CS2 brings, I think it’s well worth the upgrade price.

PSE3 I bought for $70 less a $20 rebate. I have CS2 but you can get most all the functionality of it from PSE3 and the Hidden Tools package.

Ray
R
Ray
Jun 23, 2005
What is the hidden tools package?

Ray

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:41:18 -0400, Oliver Costich
wrote:

Colin,

PSE3 I bought for $70 less a $20 rebate. I have CS2 but you can get most all the functionality of it from PSE3 and the Hidden Tools package.

Ray
GR
Geoff Realname
Jun 26, 2005
Probably:
http://www.hiddenelements.com/

Geoff

Ray wrote:
What is the hidden tools package?

Ray

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:41:18 -0400, Oliver Costich
wrote:

Colin,

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections