LJ
Posted By
Larry_J._Walker
May 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am beginning to enjoy PSE 3.0 and the potentials therein, but I would prefer that the software did not take over and place it’s self first, every time I click to open a file that has images or photos. My Windows Picture and Fax Viewer does just fine for routine "looking at things". If I simply want to VIEW a file that has images or photos, I see no need to invoke PSE. Can I alter the settings, preferences, or something so that PSE will sit in it’s seat until called upon instead of jumping up to offer an answer, even if there wasn’t a question? I have files that I just need to refer to for a moment’s glance. If I forget to click "Open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", I have to wait for PSE to load, then I have to close PSE and go to the Win. P&F Viewer. Can I change something so Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will once again be the default program for viewing images and photos? I am running Windows XP. Larry J. Walker

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
narya
May 15, 2005
Larry, have a look at the "Edit > File Associations" menu. There you can tell PSE, which file extensions to open.

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
CF
Callum_Ferguson
May 15, 2005
Larry,
Right click a pic, . open with > chose program > in your case select Win Pic and Fax viewer then tick the box " always use -etc" and OK,
you will have to do this for each type of file format ie JPG TIFF -whatever – then each pic will open in the above.
Regards
Malcolm
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 16, 2005
To Alexander and Malcolm: Thank you both for your response. The method Alexander cited worked perfectly. I even returned to the edit menu and reversed my choices, just to be sure it had worked. Finally, I reset the selections to exclude PSE from opening, by default, the file types that I use for routine activities other than photos. Malcolm, when I attempted to use your method, the box, "always use", would never allow me to select [tick mark] it. That box just remained dim on my screen and would never accept my tick. I don’t comprehend a lot of things about my computer. I am just grateful to all the "Whiz Kids" [ I mean that to be most respectful] participating in this forum to offer help to us who need help. Thank you one and all. Larry J. Walker
G
guybc
May 18, 2005
Almost on the same topic- PSE 3 now leaps in and pre-empts the kodak easyshare download from my DX3900 camera. This seems to disable the kodak download, even if I close the PSE window. Is there any way I can disable this feature of PSE without harming the rest of the programme?
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 18, 2005
Guybc,
Open the Organizer, then go to Edit>Preferences>Camera or Card reader and uncheck "Use Adobe Photo Downloader…"
That should do it.
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections