PG
Posted By
Phil_Goff
Jun 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to rename a high level folder that contains many subfolders of pictures stored in my album. I understand that if I rename it in Windows Explorer, I will have to reconnect all of the pictures in the Organizer. The Help menu implies that I can rename a folder using the Browser in the Elements Editor and that will avoid the arduous reconnect process. But I can’t seem to get that to work.

Does anyone know if it is possible to rename a folder in Elements?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 5, 2005
No. It is not possible to rename a folder from within Organizer.

If there are lots of subfolders, then I cannot recommend any easy way to achieve this unless you want to use MS Access to manually "correct" the catalog [which is a good deal easier than it sounds!].

BTW, you refer to the reconnect process as arduous. Are you speaking from experience? There are people who’ve had trouble with it, but I have been unable to make it malfunction, if I move pictures around on a particular drive. Why not just take a copy of your catalog file, rename the folder and try it. You can always restore the catalog.
PG
Phil_Goff
Jun 5, 2005
Colin,

Thanks for the info. Its frustating not being able to rename folders in the Photo Browser, especially since you can right click on a folder and the Photo Browser offers the Rename function. But I can live with that.

I don’t find the Reconnect files function to be as automatic as you imply. When I move a folder (using Windows Explorer)and then try to reconnect all missing files, it offers the dialog box listing the files that were moved. I use the Browse tab to identify the new Folder location, but then I have to click on reconnect for each photograph listed. Its a manual process, picture by picture.

The file information shown in the Reconnect dialog box appears exactly the same for the old file so I don’t understand why it won’t reconnect automatically.

I have my Preferences file set for automatically reconnecting files.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 5, 2005
Phil

When I have played with this, I used File/Reconnect/All missing files …

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections