VC
Posted By
Vince_Cozza
Jun 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded the trial version of Photoshop Elements 3.0 to see if it’s worth upgrading my 2.0 version. I have no trouble using 2.0. However, each time I tried to use 3.0, it crashed and quit in the middle of usage. I have a G3 Mac iBook with OS 10.2.8, with 384 MB of RAM, a 20 GB hard drive, and a 1,024 x 768 color monitor and a CD-ROM drive. I have also re-created a new Preference file. I have not run any other application while Ph EL 3.0 is running. I have no third party plug ins. and I use the default Helvetica font with 3.0 I have raised the Memory Cache to 100 % and had also defragmented and optimized my hard drive using Tech Tool Pro 4 before trying version 3.0 After doing all that it still crashes. I have a copy of the Console Crash log. It’s 18 pages, but on top, it shows Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000140
Since there is no Tech support with trial versions, I can only conclude, after searching the Knowledge base web pages, that version 3.0 cannot work in OS 10.2.8 or with my equipment. Am I wrong?
Vince

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 8, 2005
Sorry that people missed this post, Vince.

PSE 3.0 should work on 10.2.8, so that’s not the problem. I did some Googling on this, and that particular error code has cropped up on a number of different applications, although it isn’t particularly common.

You say you defragged and optimized, but you didn’t say anything about running some of the other Mac housekeeping utilities. When was the last time you repaired permissions? Do you keep up with CRON scripts by either letting your computer run (not asleep) 24/7 or else use MacJanitor or Onyx or one of the other shareware/freeware apps? The error code seems to be a system issue that, for you, happens to be emerging when you try to install/run PSE 3.0.

One person did find the error was caused by a corrupt font, and someone else removed a haxie from their system and got everything operating properly again. Anything ring a bell?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
Do not raise the memory on PE to 100%. That just causes trouble. The first thing I would do is to uninstall PE 3. Also remove the PE3 preferences and paths from your user/library/preferences folder. Then run disk repair from your Panther install CD and repair permissions after booting back from your main drive. Try a reinstall. If that doesn’t work, there have been problems for some people installing in 10.2.8. I’ll look up a link to a reported solution for you.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
Oh, forgot. How full is your hard drive?
VC
Vince_Cozza
Jun 9, 2005
Hello Beth:
Thanks for your input. I do not keep my computer running 24/7. It’s open only a few hours per day. I recently ran Tech Tools Pro 4 and it is supposed to scan and repair my hard drive, including, I guess, Permissions repair. But, no such problem emerged. I might try to find and download MacJanitor or Onyx and run them.
Vince
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 9, 2005
I don’t know anything about Tech Tool Pro for OS X; the last time I used it was under OS 9. The point being I’m not familiar with what all it’s designed to do. (If you don’t count the time I managed to mess up the system on my own,) I’ve been getting along fine using MacJanitor and the Repair Permissions function of Disk Utility. You might want to run that again from inside the system if there’s any question about how well TTP4 does that.

Barbara asked about hard drive space. How’s that holding up? And, did you notice she also recommended decreasing the memory allocation to what it had been? I’ve just let mine default to whatever it’s going to since going to OS X, and so far so good. If you’re an old OS 9er like I am, it’s hard to resist playing with it, but… 🙂
VC
Vince_Cozza
Jun 10, 2005
Barbara:
I’ve got plenty of hard drive space left. I’ve used about half of the 20 GB my iBook has. I did lower the memory cache to Ph El 3.0 back down to 50% or 166 MB. I’ll try what you suggest, but I don’t have much faith in Apple’s Disk Repair. It always shows that everything is Ok even when I know it’s not.
Thanks much.
Vince

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections