AF
Posted By
Air Force Jayhawk
Jun 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First off, I am entirely new at PSE3. Thought I’d take on a task to learn the program but am stuck from the beginning.

I have a B/W company logo that looks like fancy text but is really just a raster image (I have in both .bmp and in .gif format with the background transparent).

I want to apply some gradient and bevel effects to it but PSE3 treats the entire image, not just the "lettering". How can I turn the black part of the bitmap into objects and make the background white go away?

Thanks!

—–
Roscoe
Never attribute to talent that which can be explained by good luck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

A
arterrs
Jun 12, 2005
use the maginc wand tool, it’s the 6th tool down on your tool bar. the toolbar is that list of items down the left hand side of your screen in standard edit mode.
– select the magic wand tool
– click on (select) the white area the hit delete- should make the white area transparent
– now in the magic wand properties, thats the toolbar at the top of the active window, select ‘add to selection’ – that’s the 2nd of those funky boxes just to the left of the word ‘tolerance’
– now start clicking on (selecting) the black parts, the letters you want to apply filters and effects to
– then apply your filters etc.

not sure if .bmps or .gifs support transparency, you may have to save the image as a .jpg or .psd first.

good luck

"Air Force Jayhawk" wrote in message
First off, I am entirely new at PSE3. Thought I’d take on a task to learn the program but am stuck from the beginning.

I have a B/W company logo that looks like fancy text but is really just a raster image (I have in both .bmp and in .gif format with the background transparent).

I want to apply some gradient and bevel effects to it but PSE3 treats the entire image, not just the "lettering". How can I turn the black part of the bitmap into objects and make the background white go away?
Thanks!

—–
Roscoe
AF
Air Force Jayhawk
Jun 12, 2005
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:02:02 -0400, wrote:

use the maginc wand tool, it’s the 6th tool down on your tool bar. the toolbar is that list of items down the left hand side of your screen in standard edit mode.
– click on (select) the white area the hit delete- should make the white area transparent
– now in the magic wand properties, thats the toolbar at the top of the active window, select ‘add to selection’ – that’s the 2nd of those funky boxes just to the left of the word ‘tolerance’
– now start clicking on (selecting) the black parts, the letters you want to apply filters and effects to

not sure if .bmps or .gifs support transparency, you may have to save the image as a .jpg or .psd first.

good luck

Thanks!

—–
Roscoe
THANKS!
AF
Air Force Jayhawk
Jun 12, 2005

good luck

Thanks!

—–
Roscoe

Didn’t work after all. Did once (but had other issues), but now I can’t reproduce it. The background turns checkered as though it has been deleted, but when I create the gradient, it fill the whole bitmap, not just the letters.
AF
Air Force Jayhawk
Jun 12, 2005
Nevermind…I got it.

Thanks!

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 02:22:40 GMT, Air Force Jayhawk
wrote:

good luck

Thanks!

—–
Roscoe

Didn’t work after all. Did once (but had other issues), but now I can’t reproduce it. The background turns checkered as though it has been deleted, but when I create the gradient, it fill the whole bitmap, not just the letters.
GR
Geoff Realname
Jun 15, 2005
I’m probably too late here, but I’ll give it a go anyway! I think a couple of steps might be missing in arterrs’ answer so I’ll be as full as possible – no offence intended if you know more than you’re admitting!

1. Open image, then open Layers palette (top RH corner,click on Layers.) Grab the palette by its title and move it a bit; this will stop it closing every time you do anything. (To get rid of it just move it back.)

2. Layer will be called Background. You need to change this to an ‘ordinary’ layer in order to edit it, so hold Alt and double-click on the layer. This will change it to ‘Layer 0’. (Or you can just double-click the layer and change the name in the dialog.)

3. Select the white background with the Magic Wand tool as described earlier, and hit Delete. You should get the checkerboard effect.

4. Hit Ctrl/D to deselect.

5. Hold Ctrl and click on the thumbnail in the Layers palette. This will select all the remaining pixels – you should see the ‘marching ants’ round the letters of your logo. Your gradients and layer styles or whatever should now only do their thing to the selected bits. Ta-da! (I hope…)

6. To preserve the transparency you’ll need to save as a GIF or BMP.

Hope that does The Business.

Geoff

Air Force Jayhawk wrote:

good luck

Thanks!

—–
Roscoe

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections