H
Posted By
Hillbilly
Jul 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any way, with any program where you can zoom in on a tiny part of the photo and get it crystal clear. You see them do that on TV and I now TV is not reality, but I was curious if there really is a way to continually zoom in on a area and enhance it like they do in some of these crime shows.

Thanks

Joe

============================================================ ======================================================
Honor is a harder master than the law. It cannot compromise for less than one hundred cents on the dollar, and its debts are never outlawed. M.T.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Roy
Jul 14, 2005
"Hillbilly" wrote in message
Is there any way, with any program where you can zoom in on a tiny part of the photo and get it crystal clear. You see them do that on TV and I now TV is not reality, but I was curious if there really is a way to continually zoom in on a area and enhance it like they do in some of these crime shows.

Thanks

Joe
As you say T V and CSI are not reality.

No. It is not possible from normal Camera images, and even less possible from CCTV images.

Having said that, pictures from Military Satellites, do get enlarged and enhanced to a remarkable degree, but who knows how much any of that activity or equipment actually costs. That is a different sort of unreality.

Roy G
JM
Joseph Meehan
Jul 14, 2005
Hillbilly wrote:
Is there any way, with any program where you can zoom in on a tiny part of the photo and get it crystal clear.

You can’t create detail that is not there. On the other hand if you have a photo that has a great deal of detail you can zoom in a lot and still have it show sharp.

Some programs can do some good guessing as to what might be there, but it can only do that based on what was really captured in the original.

What exactly were you wanting to do?

You see them do that on
TV and I now TV is not reality, but I was curious if there really is a way to continually zoom in on a area and enhance it like they do in some of these crime shows.
Thanks

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
H
Hillbilly
Jul 15, 2005
I got this picture of a bull elk that was about 100 yards away. Was shooting with a 100-300 zoom at max zoom. Using a Canon 20D. The photo is perfect in everyway, Just wanted to crop it and only get the Elk. When I enlarge the image with the Elk only, the elk is not so clear anymore. Kind of fuzzy. I enhanced as much as I can, but the crispness and clarity is just not the same. I was hoping that there is some way to crop a small section of a photo and get a decent result without it been postage stamp size.

Thanks

Joe

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Hillbilly wrote:
Is there any way, with any program where you can zoom in on a tiny part of the photo and get it crystal clear.

You can’t create detail that is not there. On the other hand if you have a photo that has a great deal of detail you can zoom in a lot and still have it show sharp.

Some programs can do some good guessing as to what might be there, but it can only do that based on what was really captured in the original.
What exactly were you wanting to do?

You see them do that on
TV and I now TV is not reality, but I was curious if there really is a way to continually zoom in on a area and enhance it like they do in some of these crime shows.
Thanks

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
RL
Ramaswamy Lakshman
Jul 16, 2005
Joe

It is impossible to get a cropping and zooming a picture. But the effects can be minimized by doing the enlargement in steps. Instead of increasing the size of your crop 100%, go in small increments until you get to the required size. But you will still get a picture lower in clarity compared to one that captured the elk as it was.

Hope I was clear in the explanation.

If your question had been theoretical, I would have pointed you to http://www.gigapxl.org/ There is an interesting example where they zoom multiple times and still get a relatively clear picture. But it’s a gigapixel camera 😉

Rams

On 7/15/05 8:53 AM, in article ,
"Hillbilly" wrote:

I got this picture of a bull elk that was about 100 yards away. Was shooting with a 100-300 zoom at max zoom. Using a Canon 20D. The photo is perfect in everyway, Just wanted to crop it and only get the Elk. When I enlarge the image with the Elk only, the elk is not so clear anymore. Kind of fuzzy. I enhanced as much as I can, but the crispness and clarity is just not the same. I was hoping that there is some way to crop a small section of a photo and get a decent result without it been postage stamp size.

Thanks

Joe

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news:UxqBe.21228$
R
Roy
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks

Joe
Hi there.

As I said earlier what they do on the TV is impossible.

But you can try the re-sampling in steps.

Increase the resolution by less than 10%, and repeat the process until you get the image size you want.

Then try sharpening by making a duplicate layer.

On this new layer, apply the "High Pass" filter at about 10%. Then apply "Hard Light" in Blending Drop down box. Then set Opacity to about 50%.

Check on the sharpening effect by making the new layer visible and invisable, and adjust the level of sharpening by increasing or decreasing the new layer’s Opacity.

Roy G
R
RSD99
Jul 17, 2005
I got this picture of a bull elk that was about 100 yards away. Was shooting with a 100-300 zoom at max zoom. Using a Canon 20D. The
photo
is perfect in everyway, Just wanted to crop it and only get the Elk.
When
I enlarge the image with the Elk only, the elk is not so clear anymore. Kind of fuzzy. I enhanced as much as I can, but the crispness and
clarity
is just not the same. I was hoping that there is some way to crop a
small
section of a photo and get a decent result without it been postage stamp size.

Thanks

Joe

That’s why the ‘pros’ spend many-thousands of dollars for the "big lenses."
H
Hillbilly
Jul 19, 2005
Thanks Roy, I will try it.

Joe

"Roy" wrote in message
Is there any way, with any program where you can zoom in on a tiny part of
the photo and get it crystal clear. You see them do that on TV and I now
TV is not reality, but I was curious if there really is a way to continually zoom in on a area and enhance it like they do in some of these
crime shows.

Thanks

Joe
Hi there.

As I said earlier what they do on the TV is impossible.

But you can try the re-sampling in steps.

Increase the resolution by less than 10%, and repeat the process until you
get the image size you want.

Then try sharpening by making a duplicate layer.

On this new layer, apply the "High Pass" filter at about 10%. Then apply "Hard Light" in Blending Drop down box. Then set Opacity to about 50%.
Check on the sharpening effect by making the new layer visible and invisable, and adjust the level of sharpening by increasing or decreasing the new layer’s Opacity.

Roy G

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections