P
Posted By
Pedro
Oct 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PSE4, and I use an external hard drive to store my photos that appear in PSE. I can turn the external drive on and off, which I like for security. However, every once in a while, PSE says it cannot find photos on my hard drive that are connected to the images in the PSE organizer. At least PSE must search for the photos on my hard drive, but this takes time when done photo by photo. I think the cause of this problem is that the letter of the external hard drive will sometimes change, if I turn the drive off when I am accessing some other drive.

At any rate, I was wondering if there is a way, when this problem arises, for PSE to resync all the images in its organizer with all of the photos on my hard drive, rather than having to do it photo by photo.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pedro

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DI
Don in Centennial CO
Oct 26, 2006
Pedro wrote:
I have PSE4, and I use an external hard drive to store my photos that appear in PSE. I can turn the external drive on and off, which I like for security. However, every once in a while, PSE says it cannot find photos on my hard drive that are connected to the images in the PSE organizer. At least PSE must search for the photos on my hard drive, but this takes time when done photo by photo. I think the cause of this problem is that the letter of the external hard drive will sometimes change, if I turn the drive off when I am accessing some other drive.

At any rate, I was wondering if there is a way, when this problem arises, for PSE to resync all the images in its organizer with all of the photos on my hard drive, rather than having to do it photo by photo.

Pedro

You should be able to go to File>Watched Folders and it will keep up automatically.
Don
P
Pedro
Oct 26, 2006
Don:

Many thanks for your response. I guess I did not articulate the exact problem I am having well, because I think you have given me a solution for a problem I do not have. Please excuse me for not correctly stating what my problem is. Let me try to explain in a different way.

Put another way, the problem I am having is not that PSE does not "get" or grab files into its organizer when I add a photo file to my external hard drive. Instead, the problem relates to photos that are already in my PSE organizer. When I call up those photos in PSE, the program often has to take time to search for the corresponding photo files on my external drive. It used to be that the connection between the photos in the organizer and the external hard drive was instant, but somehow a disconnect occurred. Don’t get me wrong, PSE organizer eventually finds and connects the photo in organizer with the file in my hard drive; it just takes time. I’d like to go back to instant.

I hope I’ve clarified what I was trying to say in my earlier message.

Thanks again, Don.

Pedro

"Don in Centennial CO" wrote in message
Pedro wrote:
I have PSE4, and I use an external hard drive to store my photos that appear
in PSE. I can turn the external drive on and off, which I like for security. However, every once in a while, PSE says it cannot find photos on
my hard drive that are connected to the images in the PSE organizer. At least PSE must search for the photos on my hard drive, but this takes time
when done photo by photo. I think the cause of this problem is that the letter of the external hard drive will sometimes change, if I turn the drive
off when I am accessing some other drive.

At any rate, I was wondering if there is a way, when this problem arises, for PSE to resync all the images in its organizer with all of the photos on
my hard drive, rather than having to do it photo by photo.

Pedro

You should be able to go to File>Watched Folders and it will keep up automatically.
Don
J
JRS
Nov 6, 2006
Fix the drive letter of your external drive to somewhere way down the order – i.e X,Y,Z

do this thru computer mgt.

Jon

"Pedro" wrote in message
Don:

Many thanks for your response. I guess I did not articulate the exact problem I am having well, because I think you have given me a solution for a problem I do not have. Please excuse me for not correctly stating what my problem is. Let me try to explain in a different way.
Put another way, the problem I am having is not that PSE does not "get" or grab files into its organizer when I add a photo file to my external hard drive. Instead, the problem relates to photos that are already in my PSE organizer. When I call up those photos in PSE, the program often has to take time to search for the corresponding photo files on my external drive. It used to be that the connection between the photos in the organizer and the external hard drive was instant, but somehow a disconnect occurred. Don’t get me wrong, PSE organizer eventually finds and connects the photo in organizer with the file in my hard drive; it just takes time. I’d like to go back to instant.

I hope I’ve clarified what I was trying to say in my earlier message.
Thanks again, Don.

Pedro

"Don in Centennial CO" wrote in message
Pedro wrote:
I have PSE4, and I use an external hard drive to store my photos that appear
in PSE. I can turn the external drive on and off, which I like for security. However, every once in a while, PSE says it cannot find photos on
my hard drive that are connected to the images in the PSE organizer. At least PSE must search for the photos on my hard drive, but this takes time
when done photo by photo. I think the cause of this problem is that the letter of the external hard drive will sometimes change, if I turn the drive
off when I am accessing some other drive.

At any rate, I was wondering if there is a way, when this problem arises,
for PSE to resync all the images in its organizer with all of the photos on
my hard drive, rather than having to do it photo by photo.

Pedro

Don

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections