C
Posted By
cutty
Jan 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can take a photo on my new laptop in photoshop elements 2, edit it, save it to hard drive, but if I BURN it to the dvd/cdrw I can’t bring it back to the program in XP and do any changes because it wont let me save it after burning it.I get an message "could not save xxxxx file because the file is locked. Use properties command in explorer to unlock the file." I have tried everythng I know to unlock this and it still gives me this message. Can any one help me with solutions to this problem.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Jan 13, 2007
"cutty" wrote in message
I can take a photo on my new laptop in photoshop elements 2, edit it, save it to hard drive, but if I BURN it to the dvd/cdrw I can’t bring it back to the program in XP and do any changes because it wont let me save it after burning it.I get an message "could not save xxxxx file because the file is locked. Use properties command in explorer to unlock the file." I have tried everythng I know to unlock this and it still gives me this message. Can any one help me with solutions to this problem.

Hi.

This applies to all files, not just photos.

You can not "Save" to a Cd.

You need to Copy it from the Cd back onto your Hdd, and then do your extra editing, then "Save" to your Hdd.

Then Re-burn it to the CD.

You may need to change its file title, by adding -1 or similar before re-burning it to the Cd. That depends on your Cd burner and / or Burning Program.

Sometimes files copied from a Cd come in as "Read Only" and you need to change that in Properties after it is on your Hdd. Right Click on it, go to Properties then untick "Read Only".

Roy G
C
cutty
Jan 13, 2007
Roy G wrote:
"cutty" wrote in message

Hi.

You need to Copy it from the Cd back onto your Hdd, and then do your extra editing, then "Save" to your Hdd.

You may need to change its file title, by adding -1 or similar before re-burning it to the Cd. That depends on your Cd burner and / or Burning Program.

Sometimes files copied from a Cd come in as "Read Only" and you need to change that in Properties after it is on your Hdd. Right Click on it, go to Properties then untick "Read Only".

Roy G

Roy
We tried this I think. But how do you burn it so it isnt read only? The system wont let us change any of the property settings and we know we have adnim rights. We can’t find where to change setting for the burn prcess to make not "read only" when burned.
Thanks
Cutty
C
cutty
Jan 13, 2007
Roy G wrote:
"cutty" wrote in message

Hi.

Roy G

Roy
We tried this I think. But how do you burn it so it isnt read only? The system wont let us change any of the property settings and we know we have adnim rights. We can’t find where to change setting for the burn prcess to make not "read only" when burned. IT WONT LET US save to the hard drive either.
Thanks
Cutty
RG
Roy G
Jan 14, 2007
"cutty" wrote in message
Roy G wrote:
"cutty" wrote in message

Hi.

You need to Copy it from the Cd back onto your Hdd, and then do your extra
editing, then "Save" to your Hdd.

Sometimes files copied from a Cd come in as "Read Only" and you need to change that in Properties after it is on your Hdd. Right Click on it, go to
Properties then untick "Read Only".

Roy G

Roy
We tried this I think. But how do you burn it so it isnt read only? The system wont let us change any of the property settings and we know we have adnim rights. We can’t find where to change setting for the burn prcess to make not "read only" when burned. IT WONT LET US save to the hard drive either.
Thanks
Cutty

Hi

This is VERY BASIC Windows Stuff.

Files on a Cd are read only, because the Cd drive is a
Cd ROM. R for Read – O for Only – M for memory.

If you open a file on your Cd ROM so that you can see the picture on screen, you can only see it because it is now being held in the RAM on your machine. The file is still on the Cd, and you cannot "Save" it or "Save As" to the Cd because the Cd and the files on it are Read Only.

However you can "Save As" to a folder on your HDD, by selecting the location in the "Save To" box at the top of the Save As Dialogue. This puts a new copy of the file, or edited file back onto the HDD

If you Copy a file from your Cd to your Hdd, that file might still be read only.

You can change the copy on your Hdd so that it is not read only, by changing the Properties. As I explained earlier.

You cannot change the properties of the one still on the Cd, because the Cd is a Read Only Device. You can not stop it being a Read Only Device.

Roy G
RG
Roy G
Jan 14, 2007
"cutty" wrote in message
Roy G wrote:
"cutty" wrote in message

Hi.

You need to Copy it from the Cd back onto your Hdd, and then do your extra
editing, then "Save" to your Hdd.

Sometimes files copied from a Cd come in as "Read Only" and you need to change that in Properties after it is on your Hdd. Right Click on it, go to
Properties then untick "Read Only".

Roy G

Roy
Thanks
Cutty

Hi

This is VERY BASIC Windows Stuff.

Files on a Cd are read only, because the Cd drive is a
Cd ROM. R for Read – O for Only – M for memory.

If you open a file on your Cd ROM so that you can see the picture on screen, you can only see it because it is now being held in the RAM on your machine. The file is still on the Cd, and you cannot "Save" it or "Save As" to the Cd because the Cd and the files on it are Read Only.

However you can "Save As" to a folder on your HDD, by selecting the location in the "Save To" box at the top of the Save As Dialogue. This puts a new copy of the file, or edited file back onto the HDD

If you Copy a file from your Cd to your Hdd, that file might still be read only.

You can change the copy on your Hdd so that it is not read only, by changing the Properties. As I explained earlier.

You cannot change the properties of the one still on the Cd, because the Cd is a Read Only Device. You can not stop it being a Read Only Device.

Roy G

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections