JJ
Posted By
Jennifer_Jean_Hurley
Mar 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In photoshop (on PC) I get the message that the file is open and in use whenever I try to save as a file in any format, so cannot save my changes to a new file

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Mar 12, 2008
Version? OS?
JJ
Jennifer_Jean_Hurley
Mar 12, 2008
Adobe Photoshop CS2. I am in Australia
BP
Bert Philippus
Mar 12, 2008
Version? OS?

Adobe Photoshop CS2. I am in Australia

Great, now Australia has been reduced to an operating system?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Mar 12, 2008
Jennifer, have you had a previous version of Photoshop (7 or earlier) or possibly an older version of Photoshop Elements installed? Have you installed the MS Raw file viewer? The reason I’m asking is that Photoshop versions prior to CS used a shell extension called psicon.dll to display PSD thumbnails in Windows Explorer. While this was a nice idea, due to an OS bug, it often caused files to be held in "open" status by the OS, making it impossible to save them. Do a search on your hard drive(s) for psicon.dll, making sure to set the advanced options to search hidden and system files. If you find this file, simply rename it with a different extension, such as psicon.DXX.

Photoshop Elements or SE may also have installed this file, so if you have had either of them installed at some point, do the search above.

The MS Raw file viewer uses a similar technique and is subject to the same OS bug. Uninstall it.
JJ
Jennifer_Jean_Hurley
Mar 12, 2008
Thanks Michael, I haven’t had photoshop before, this was installed with the adobe suite – (in design, acrobat, illustrator). I have windows XP Pro on a PC
JJ
Jennifer_Jean_Hurley
Mar 12, 2008
Michael, I don’t appear to have the MS Raw File Viewer, and I did a search for the psicon.dll files and don’t appear to have any of them either. Jennifer
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Mar 12, 2008
That rules out most of the usual suspects. Try deleting your Photoshop preferences (see the FAQ at the top of the forum if you don’t know how).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections