Posted By
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here: I’ve created a Photoshop document with some stylized text (gradient overlays), and I need for this to be transparent. If I save it as a PSD file it retains the transparency when I add it to InDesign. However, I’d like to keep the text as vector if possible (I have not rasterized it). I know I’d have to use a Photoshop PDF for that, but I can’t figure out how to make a PDF transparent. Should I be trying to go through Illustrator somehow? Or stick with the rasterized type? Hope that makes sense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Phyllis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
May 5, 2008
Save as PDF for use in InDesign.

Bob
PU
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
Tried but I lose the transparency. I guess PDFs can’t be transparent?
BL
Bob Levine
May 5, 2008
Be sure to select show options when placing the PDF.

Bob
PU
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
I checked that (and set it to transparent), but it still makes it white. I guess it flattens the Photoshop document which makes it no longer transparent? My original document was just on a transparent background in Photoshop. I tried a clipping path just now, but there’s no option to save that into the PDF (as far as I can tell). I’m guessing I need to switch to Illustrator if I need transparency on a vector?

Thanks, Phyllis
BL
Bob Levine
May 5, 2008
What are your settings when saving as PDF? Transparency does work with PDF.

Bob
PU
Phyllis_Utter
May 5, 2008
Aha! It was a PDF setting to convert the colors to destination that was the problem. I never even noticed that. Once it was at "No Conversion" it became transparent. 🙂 Much better results in the final document!

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections