P
Posted By
patrick
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am about to embark on an ambitious project which could readily get out of hand. (Some idiot at my wife’s church said I was a photographer!)

The project is to shoot and edit some 250 church chalices for inclusion in a catalog-style book with thumbnails and text description of each chalice. We envision some six to eight items per page.

The church is over 150 years old and the chalices have historical and personal significance as they have been donated by members over the years. They are not consecrated but I will have to shoot them inside and on-site so the setup will have to be somewhat simple.

I have the following resources: (Yes, I know — I’m over-equipped!) Nikon Coolpix 4500
Nikon D70 with a bushel of lenses
Monfrotto tripod and head
PS Elements 2.0 which I’m pretty familiar with
PS CS which I have not used
I can jury-rig a neutral backdrop
I can buy a couple of halogen shop lights. (Maybe some $200 on gear) My computer is probably adequate as is: 1.8G, 512, 80G, ViewSonic 19" We’ll use a commercial print shop for the final product.

I do NOT have:
Studio setup
Lights except for builtin flash and SB80
Soft light box
Handyman skills

I do have lots of patience and am a receptive student.
I’ve been a serious amateur photographer for some 60 years. (I said, "serious," not "skillled")

Thanks! . . . . patrick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

XT
xalinai_Two
May 24, 2004
On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:37:59 GMT, "patrick" wrote:

I am about to embark on an ambitious project which could readily get out of hand. (Some idiot at my wife’s church said I was a photographer!)
The project is to shoot and edit some 250 church chalices for inclusion in a catalog-style book with thumbnails and text description of each chalice. We envision some six to eight items per page.

The church is over 150 years old and the chalices have historical and personal significance as they have been donated by members over the years. They are not consecrated but I will have to shoot them inside and on-site so the setup will have to be somewhat simple.

I have the following resources: (Yes, I know — I’m over-equipped!) Nikon Coolpix 4500
I can buy a couple of halogen shop lights. (Maybe some $200 on gear) My computer is probably adequate as is: 1.8G, 512, 80G, ViewSonic 19" We’ll use a commercial print shop for the final product.
I do NOT have:
Studio setup
Soft light box
Handyman skills

I’ve been a serious amateur photographer for some 60 years. (I said, "serious," not "skillled")

Thanks! . . . . patrick

This should be good enough for taking the pictures and providing the layouter with images that will print 6.7×10 at 300 dpi (using the D70).

If you want to do the whole book, then I’d miss a layout program on your list.

Michael
P
patrick
May 24, 2004
Thanks for the reassurance, Michael!
My quandary now comes from how to proceed.

The first question is lighting setup with no studio lights or light stands. I am considering using two halogen shop lights at 45 degree angles and the camera white balance set manually at the start of the shoot. If I minimized shadows and used a single, neutral drop cloth for background, I hoped to be able to edit the background and add key-light effects, etc, in PS.

Second is resolution. Given that the end product is a thumbnail (though of high expectations), what is a reasonable shooting resolution? If we presume the final thumbnail will be (hypothetical numbers) 4×3, and we want to print at 300dpi, is it sufficient to shoot at 1280×960?

Once I have all images in the computer, my thought is to create a separate PS file for each image with its PS text to the right of the edited image on a uniformily sized canvas. Then create a new file with a canvas large enough to hold all the images for a single page, one file for each page. If the images are of uniform size and pre-edited, I thought I could simply import them, position each as a separate layer and lock the layer until the page is ready to be flattened for printing.

I would consult with the printer before starting to insure his requirements are met.

What really intimidates me is what am I missing entirely?!!

.. . . . patrick

"Xalinai" wrote in message
I am about to embark on an ambitious project which could readily get out
of
hand. (Some idiot at my wife’s church said I was a photographer!)
The project is to shoot and edit some 250 church chalices for inclusion
in a
catalog-style book with thumbnails and text description of each chalice. We envision some six to eight items per page.

The church is over 150 years old and the chalices have historical and personal significance as they have been donated by members over the
years.
They are not consecrated but I will have to shoot them inside and on-site
so
the setup will have to be somewhat simple.

I do NOT have:
Studio setup
Soft light box
Handyman skills

Thanks! . . . . patrick

This should be good enough for taking the pictures and providing the layouter with images that will print 6.7×10 at 300 dpi (using the D70).

Michael
J
JJS
May 24, 2004
I am about to embark on an ambitious project which could readily get out
of
in a
catalog-style book with thumbnails and text description of each chalice. We envision some six to eight items per page.

The church is over 150 years old and the chalices have historical and personal significance as they have been donated by members over the
years.
They are not consecrated but I will have to shoot them inside and on-site
so

I do NOT have:
Studio setup
Soft light box
Handyman skills

Thanks! . . . . patrick

Michael
KB
Ken Burns
May 24, 2004
That is not a good lighting setup, it just will not work. The light coming directly from the halogen lights will be very harsh, a highly directional nearly point light source that will create extreme hot spots on any and all shiney surfaces. The shadows will be inky black and sharp-edged. Before starting this project, you need to learn a lot about controlling the character of lighting. You need to learn how to control the light to shape and sculpt your images. You need to learn how to both add and subtract light, control light character using diffusion and reflection techniques, light highly reflective surfaces indirectly, and how to use highlights and shadows to show three dimensionality. Two hot lights set up at 45 degrees to each side aimed directly at the subject is about the worst approach there is.

You need to contact the printing company that will print the book. Discuss with them the problems you will run into using PS for setting type. Also, find out what they need from you to properly layout the pages (rez, file format, etc.) They will let you know which page layout program is required.

KB

"patrick" wrote in message

The first question is lighting setup with no studio lights or light
stands.
I am considering using two halogen shop lights at 45 degree angles and the camera white balance set manually at the start of the shoot. If I
minimized
shadows and used a single, neutral drop cloth for background, I hoped to
be
able to edit the background and add key-light effects, etc, in PS.
Second is resolution. Given that the end product is a thumbnail (though of high expectations), what is a reasonable shooting resolution? If we
presume
the final thumbnail will be (hypothetical numbers) 4×3, and we want to
print
at 300dpi, is it sufficient to shoot at 1280×960?

Once I have all images in the computer, my thought is to create a separate PS file for each image with its PS text to the right of the edited image
on
a uniformily sized canvas. Then create a new file with a canvas large
enough
to hold all the images for a single page, one file for each page. If the images are of uniform size and pre-edited, I thought I could simply import them, position each as a separate layer and lock the layer until the page
is
ready to be flattened for printing.

I would consult with the printer before starting to insure his
requirements
are met.

. . . . patrick

I am about to embark on an ambitious project which could readily get
out
of
in a
catalog-style book with thumbnails and text description of each
chalice.
We envision some six to eight items per page.

years.
They are not consecrated but I will have to shoot them inside and
on-site
so

I do NOT have:
Studio setup
Soft light box
Handyman skills

Thanks! . . . . patrick

Michael

J
JJS
May 24, 2004
Your digital setup is okay, Patrick, and I’ll bet you are being modest regarding your skills. One tip that I’ve found important for easy digital stills is to use the soft lights with a ratio of no greater than 1:3. For the background, I would choose an evenly lit grey of about 12% so that you can easily extract it (drop it out) and use Photoshop to replace it with different colored and graduated backgrounds for presentation. FWIW, a graduated background for rounded objects can give a round-appearance to otherwise flat-light objects. See the effect here:
http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/ct/
J
JJS
May 24, 2004
"patrick" wrote in message

The first question is lighting setup with no studio lights or light
stands.
I am considering using two halogen shop lights at 45 degree angles and the camera white balance set manually at the start of the shoot. If I
minimized
shadows and used a single, neutral drop cloth for background, I hoped to
be
able to edit the background and add key-light effects, etc, in PS.

You really need soft light, Patrick. Polished surfaces will blow-out very easily and also reflect the lights, making touch-up to remove them very difficult, if not almost impossible.

Second is resolution. Given that the end product is a thumbnail (though of high expectations), what is a reasonable shooting resolution? If we
presume
the final thumbnail will be (hypothetical numbers) 4×3, and we want to
print
at 300dpi, is it sufficient to shoot at 1280×960?

Shoot two of each: one high resolution to print at 300 to float in 8×10 and another for small prints or the web.

Once I have all images in the computer, my thought is to create a separate PS file for each image with its PS text to the right of the edited image
on
a uniformily sized canvas. Then create a new file with a canvas large
enough
to hold all the images for a single page, one file for each page. If the images are of uniform size and pre-edited, I thought I could simply import them, position each as a separate layer and lock the layer until the page
is
ready to be flattened for printing.

That’s just fine. To get a quick start, check out the automate – web page option. It can evenly space a thumbnail page very nicely. You can edit from there.

I would consult with the printer before starting to insure his
requirements
are met.

. . . . patrick

I am about to embark on an ambitious project which could readily get
out
of
in a
catalog-style book with thumbnails and text description of each
chalice.
We envision some six to eight items per page.

years.
They are not consecrated but I will have to shoot them inside and
on-site
so

I do NOT have:
Studio setup
Soft light box
Handyman skills

Thanks! . . . . patrick

Michael

L
lkrz
May 24, 2004
Start by building a soft box. Doesn’t have to be elaborate; just a cube made out of plastic pipe or tinker toys or whatever comes to hand. Over that, drape cheesecloth or another thin fabric in white or cream. Put the chalice in the light box and light from outside to get a soft, even light.
Rent a light setup from a pro photoshop.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography
SM
Steve Moody
May 25, 2004
In article <bNnsc.225$>, patrick
wrote:

Who’s the idiot? You accepted the job!
XT
xalinai_Two
May 25, 2004
On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:53:17 GMT, "patrick" wrote:

The first question is lighting setup with no studio lights or light stands. I am considering using two halogen shop lights at 45 degree angles and the camera white balance set manually at the start of the shoot. If I minimized shadows and used a single, neutral drop cloth for background, I hoped to be able to edit the background and add key-light effects, etc, in PS.
Second is resolution. Given that the end product is a thumbnail (though of high expectations), what is a reasonable shooting resolution? If we presume the final thumbnail will be (hypothetical numbers) 4×3, and we want to print at 300dpi, is it sufficient to shoot at 1280×960?

If you do not know what size the images will be, shoot at the best resolution/lowest compression your camera has. Sure, you could save some space using smaller images but is it worth to repeat the whole setup if someone decides to use two of the finer images for the cover or to illustrate a new chapter?

Once I have all images in the computer, my thought is to create a separate PS file for each image with its PS text to the right of the edited image on a uniformily sized canvas. Then create a new file with a canvas large enough to hold all the images for a single page, one file for each page. If the images are of uniform size and pre-edited, I thought I could simply import them, position each as a separate layer and lock the layer until the page is ready to be flattened for printing.

Again: Get a layout program. Older versions are available for a few bucks and allow for vector text with raster images, page numbering, indexes.

Even Corel Draw is better than doing more than one page in PS.

Your "pages" will be huge files and still the resolution of 300dpi for raster text is the lower limit.

I would consult with the printer before starting to insure his requirements are met.

layout program? 🙂

Michael
B
Brian
May 26, 2004
Steve Moody wrote in
news:240520042055399440%:

You really needed to throw a personal insult in here.
B
Brian
May 26, 2004

I believe the original poster was first in this regard, don’t you think?
XT
xalinai_Two
May 27, 2004
On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:15:04 -0400, Brian wrote:

I believe the original poster was first in this regard, don’t you think?

If you are the one who recommended him, then yes.

Otherwise he referred to someone anonymous to this group while you refer to him – that is a difference.

Michael
B
Brian
May 27, 2004
Xalinai wrote:

Otherwise he referred to someone anonymous to this group while you refer to him – that is a difference.

Bull… an insult is an insult whether the recipient is present to hear/observe it or not. If I call you a blathering moron offline does that make it any less of an insult?
SM
Steve Moody
Jun 6, 2004
In article , Brian
wrote:

He started with the insult: ""Some idiot at my wife’s church …" All I did was point out the flaw is post.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections