Posted By
Auror
Oct 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have this project I need to print in a newspaper. It’s a PSD in CMYK, 300dpi (20 cm x 32 cm). I was told it need to be a TIFF or a EPS with text layers converted to paths.
So I’ve "turned into shape" every text layer I’ve had (it’s tricky ‘couse this way 1 text layer = one font color … so if I had a block of text with 3 different colors I had to break it into 3 different layers … anyways) and saved it as a TIFF and EPS. Just to see which one will be better (resemble my original PSD more?).

Ok so after "saving as" TIFF my file grew from 177mb to 208mb and I still had layers and eveything (I’ve never actually used TIFF files as the main project files). I can preview the file in IrfanView – I understand TIFF still contains all my paths right? (well it should being a 200+ mb file ;))

I then tried the "Save As Photoshop EPS". Now the file is 95mb aaaaaand I cannot open it with any Adobe software. why is that?

Photoshop says:
"could not complete your request becouse the parser module cannot parse the file" and Illustrator says:
"The operation cannot complete becouse of an unknown error"

What am I doing wrong?

By the way – I’ve always thought that EPS is a paths-only format. It seems it can also contain raster graphics?

In my project all the fonts and most of the shapes are paths, but I do have raster objects. Is that it?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 9, 2008
I’ve always thought that EPS is a paths-only format. It seems it can also contain raster graphics?

Nope, if you put a raster image into something, it stays raster in the EPS.

Try to save the file as a PDF and see if that works better. That is the preferred format for newspaper ads, and many places still refer to it as an EPS.
A
Auror
Oct 9, 2008
@Don McCahill

Yes Don, I used to use the PDF format most of the time. The TIFF or EPS format was specificly asked for by the newspaper people. As I said TIFF seems to work – I mean I can reopen it in Photoshop and preview it in Windows Explorer, but just for the sake of it – why can’t I open an EPS file created in Photoshop?
B
Buko
Oct 9, 2008
Did you save over a network? could be corrupted.

you do know that opening an EPS in Photoshop rasters all vector objects?

and I’m pretty sure that vector elements in Tiffs are raster when placed in a Page layout app.
A
Auror
Oct 9, 2008
@Buko

No, I didn’t save the file over a network. That’s why I am so suprised that Photoshop cannot open a file it saved just a minute ago.

All the vector objects are raserized but not permanently right? Only for photoshop-preview purposes? If I won’t save the file in photoshop again, but just close it – it will remain vector right?
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
That is correct. but so many have to save again.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections