Posted By
Will_Ferrell
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys,

When using the type tool and finished, I have to manually select a new tool in the tools menu to get out. I noticed if I SHIFT+Click with that tool selected I can make a new line of text, but I simply want to exit the tool to say the MOVE tool.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
Lurlock
Oct 23, 2008
When using the type tool and finished, I have to manually select a new tool in the tools menu to get out. I noticed if I SHIFT+Click with that tool selected I can make a new line of text, but I simply want to exit the tool to say the MOVE tool.

Hit CTRL-ENTER after you’re done typing and the keyboard shortcuts will work as normally.
ND
Nick_Decker
Oct 23, 2008
Are you clicking the little arrow in the upper tool bar to commit the type?
WF
Will_Ferrell
Oct 23, 2008
OK, cool, you get it, I want to commit to type shortcut… So I don’t have to click that check box each time, to then use a shortcut to get to another tool.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 23, 2008
Every tool stays selected until you select another.

Pressing "Enter" is the same as clicking the commit tick.
WF
Will_Ferrell
Oct 23, 2008
John,

Not true… hitting enter, makes a new line of text. Just tried something, ok so you have hold CTRL and then hit Enter.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 23, 2008
Unless you have a laptop, "Enter" is the key on the bottom far right of the keyboard. The other one is the carriage return.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 24, 2008
and sometimes on a laptop you have to hold down the Fn key to get Enter (vs. carriage return)…
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 27, 2008
You guys are trying to say Keypad-Enter vs. the normal Enter key (so labeled on most keyboards), which you describe as Carriage Return. There is no Carriage Return key on a keyboard, and in most programs, the Keypad-Enter and Enter keys do exactly the same thing.

Carriage Return is not a computer keyboard key. It’s either (a) a key on an electric typewriter that actually returns the carriage to the right so you type from the left, or the Selectric equivalent, which returns the ball to the left, in both cases accompanied by a vertical paper feed; (b) a lever on the left side of a physical typewriter carriage, which both returns the carriage to the right, for typing from the left, and feeds the paper vertically; or (c) the ASCII character 0x0D. The End Of Line sequence in computer text is usually either 0x0D 0x0A (carriage return + line feed, common in Windows and in traditional teleprinters) or 0x0A (line feed, common in Unix-derived systems).
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 27, 2008
Carriage Return is not a computer keyboard key

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_key>

For example, while using the text tool in Adobe Photoshop, the Return key produces a new line while the Enter key ends editing mode;

(In technical terms, the Macintosh keyboard maps the Return key to a carriage return, while the Enter key maps to a line feed.)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carriage_return>

Though used interchangeably today, the Return key and Enter key on PC keyboards actually send different scan codes, and so can be programmed for different uses.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scancode>

scan codes
key press release
Return / Enter (main keyboard) 5A F0 5A
Enter (numeric keypad) E0 5A / F0 5A

🙂
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 27, 2008
I only know what the keyboard says on it:

I see two keys marked "Enter" and none marked "Carriage Return" or "CR".

Next you’ll be telling me that Photoshop has a use for the SysRq or Scroll Lock keys, which have been on every PC keyboard for 25 years, and nary a program that used them.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 27, 2008
scroll lock is used all the time. mostly in text editors and spreadsheets and stuff. sys req, not so much. 😉
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 27, 2008
My keyboard (which was manufactured in 2008) has Carriage Return marked on it.

<—|

Dang it, the key itself is even shaped like an upside-down L on any half-decent keyboard!
J
jstech
Dec 27, 2008
From wikipedia

computing) On a computer running a text editing applications program, the key which generates a typewriter-like carriage return on the computer keyboard by generating a CR, normally paired with a line feed as the CRLF control code sequence or newline. Since the Mid-1980’s this key is usually labeled as the enter key on computers.
"John Joslin" wrote in message
My keyboard (which was manufactured in 2008) has Carriage Return marked on it.

<-|

Dang it, the key itself is even shaped like an upside-down L on any half-decent keyboard!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections