Stefan_Klein
Dec 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I made a test:
-turn OpenGL on
-Make an "empty" sRGB picture (or any other RGB) (lets call the picture "testpic").
-make a black/white gradient across the whole picture.
-make a screenshot (lets call it "A" and save it) -close pictures
-turn off OpenGL
-open "testpic"
-make a screenshot (lets call it "B" and save it) -close pictures and turn OGL on or off (doesn`t matter)

-now open "A" and "B" and put them into one picture (as layer1 and layer2) -put layer2 in "difference"- mode

What you see should be totally black, because there should not be any difference between "A" and "B", because it`s a screenshot of one and the
same file. But I DO NOT see only black. There ARE differences!

So here we have another OpenGL problem: One and the same file looks different when displayed with or without OpenGL!

Geforce8600GT/512MB with latest driver / Vista32bit

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SK
Stefan_Klein
Dec 27, 2008
Can anyone else try that experiment? I mean it`s very discouriging to see that Photoshop displays pictures different with OpenGL on and OpenGL off.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 27, 2008
"Photoshop displays pictures …"

Videocards displays pictures…
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 27, 2008
Videocards displays pictures…

<Stage Manager> Psst! Pierre!! Come back! I gave you the wrong text! Those are Adobe’s lines! Here
Rob
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 27, 2008
But seriously, I’ll try the difference blending mode trick later on.

Rob
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 27, 2008
Are you taking the screenshot at 100% magnification? Also, taking a screenshot of an adobeRGB photo, will give you an sRGB conversion of same.

The OpenGL version will be anti-aliased, the non-openGL will not be anti-alisaed. You don’t need to make screenshots to appreciate this difference.
SK
Stefan_Klein
Dec 27, 2008
Mathias,

good point about sRGB! I did it in sRGB and also at 100%. And if I take a close look at the gradients and the difference between OGL and non-OGL, it`s clear that the difference is not in the antialiasing, but simply that some shades of gray are lighter or darker than in the other version.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections