RB
Posted By
Roger_Beck
Feb 19, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
lets say I have an image that is 4×6 and I paste or place a file in to that image and the placed file is 2 inches wide. I want to make the placed object 50% of the total width of 6" which is 3". Can I do that automatically? If the original file was 10" wide, I would want the placed or pasted image to automatically be 5" wide. Is this possible?

I can do it by making it in to a smart object, but I would have to adjust the width manually, I want the width of the placed object to be adjusted automatically, as a percentage of total width.

thanks, roger

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
Freeagent
Feb 20, 2009
Just to clear up:

Photoshop "natively" thinks in pixels, not inches. Whatever way you look at it, a resampling of one of them is necessary unless the pixel ratio happens to be 2:1 to begin with.

But the "place" command forces PS to watch the physical dimensions. So when you Place, the image is imported as a Smart Object at the desired dimensions, ready to be resampled when the Smart Object is rasterized or flattened. Until then, you can resize as you wish.

So based on a placed Smart Object, it shouldn’t be difficult to make an action that first aligns the physical dimensions, then scales one to 50%, then (if required) rasterizes the Smart Object.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections