D
Posted By
dkperez
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have CS4 installed on my "regular" system. Works fine. Yesterday I installed it on the laptop and I’m having a bizarre problem.

I’ve also got CS3 installed on the laptop, so the CS4 install was done as an upgrade. Went fine with no problems. I can open CS4, set up palettes and workspaces, open files and edit normally.

BUT, when I attempt to open preferences – SPECIFICALLY either General or Performance, I get an unhandled exception and CS4 crashes. The event log says its an Event ID: 1002, Source: Application Hang. The text is

Hanging application Photoshop.exe version 11.0.0.0 hang module hungapp. version 0.0.0.0. hang address 0x00000000.

I can open preferences on any other preference set, but if I attempt to navigate to either the General or Performance set it crashes.

YES, I HAVE STARTED CS4 REPEATEDLY WITH CTRL/ALT/SHIFT PRESSED TO CLEAR THE PREFERENCES.

I don’t want to uninstall CS3 yet because I have to teach a seminar Thursday and if I can’t get CS4 fully functional I’m going to have to use CS3. Is there something else I need to change/delete/?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Feb 24, 2009
I HAVE STARTED CS4 REPEATEDLY WITH CTRL/ALT/SHIFT PRESSED

Did you get the dialog box when you did it or did it go straight into Photoshop?
D
dkperez
Feb 24, 2009
Yup, the dialogue box came up and I told it to delete things….

I just did an uninstall and reinstall onto a different spindle just in case it was bizarre installation thing, but I get exactly the same result.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 24, 2009
My first guess is that the printer, a drive (could be server or attached storage), or a display driver is crashing when we ask for information prior to displaying that information in preferences.
D
dkperez
Feb 25, 2009
It’s a laptop. There are no printers. There’s only 1 disk. I’ve tried both partitions on the disk. The laptop is a couple years old and the drivers for the GeForce FX 5200 haven’t changed in quite a while. If it’s a video driver problem Adobe’s managed to create a version of Photoshop that won’t run on a WHOLE LOT of laptops…

I"ve been on the phone with Adobe support, and after 3 tries I finally got to Photoshop support. Tried several things to no avail. So if anybody’s got any ideas, now would be a good time….
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 25, 2009
Well, those are the only things I can think of that would crash when opening preferences (and printer was only a remote chance).

Have you updated your video card driver?
Have you tried selecting a dummy printer (PDF, etc.)?
D
dkperez
Feb 25, 2009
There is no update for the video card. Couple year old laptop – card driver hasn’t been updated in a while. I can create a printer to see if that matters……

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections