How to reverse engineer the colors in Excel?

R
Posted By
Ramon
Apr 7, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I think some Photoshop experts probably know how to do this….

I have an existent spreadsheet that has 3 shades of blue. I am writing a program to generate spreadsheets similar to that one. The application is based on the ExcelFormat SDK which contains hexadecimal color definitions.

I can "click-pick" the RGB color components with Photoshop, but how do I convert it to the hex format expected by Excel?

TIA,

-Ramon

———————————————————-

// predefined Excel color definitions
enum EXCEL_COLORS {
EGA_BLACK = 0, // 000000H
EGA_WHITE = 1, // FFFFFFH
EGA_RED = 2, // FF0000H
EGA_GREEN = 3, // 00FF00H
EGA_BLUE = 4, // 0000FFH
EGA_YELLOW = 5, // FFFF00H
EGA_MAGENTA = 6, // FF00FFH
EGA_CYAN = 7 // 00FFFFH
};

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ragnar
Apr 8, 2010
Entering "convert rgb to hex" in Google brings up a millions hits including http://www.javascripter.net/faq/rgbtohex.htm
HTH
R.

"Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
I think some Photoshop experts probably know how to do this….
I have an existent spreadsheet that has 3 shades of blue. I am writing a program to generate spreadsheets similar to that one. The application is based on the ExcelFormat SDK which contains hexadecimal color definitions.

I can "click-pick" the RGB color components with Photoshop, but how do I convert it to the hex format expected by Excel?

TIA,

-Ramon

———————————————————-
// predefined Excel color definitions
enum EXCEL_COLORS {
EGA_RED = 2, // FF0000H
EGA_BLUE = 4, // 0000FFH
EGA_CYAN = 7 // 00FFFFH
};
R
Ramon
Apr 8, 2010
On Apr 8, 2:55 am, "Ragnar" wrote:
Entering "convert rgb to hex" in Google
brings up a millions hits including
http://www.javascripter.net/faq/rgbtohex.htm

Thanks!

HTH

It definitely does…

-Ramon
AM
Andrew Morton
Apr 8, 2010
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

"Click-pick" the colour then click the foreground colour in the tools palette. The RGB representation is in the box at the bottom of the dialog.

Andrew
R
Ramon
Apr 8, 2010
On Apr 8, 5:41 am, "Andrew Morton"
wrote:
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

"Click-pick" the colour then click the foreground colour in the tools palette. The RGB representation is in the box at the bottom of the dialog..

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew:

Your tip certainly removes one level of uncertainty. I compared both methods (yours and the one suggested by Ragnar) and they give the same results. The world makes sense, for a change. 🙂

Back to my original problem: it seems that the library I use to create Excel spreadsheets programmatically can only deal with 16-bit colors, and Microsoft -always so shrewd- uses the nicer shades to stay one step ahead of the competition (read: open source solutions).

See below the colors that come with the "ExcelFormat" library and the 3 that I would like to use.

Thanks,

-Ramon

————————

Note: the values below are shifted to convert them to 2 bytes (16 bit) values.

enum EXCEL_COLORS {
EGA_RED = 2, // FF0000H
EGA_BLUE = 4, // 0000FFH
EGA_CYAN = 7 // 00FFFFH
/*
LIGHT_BLUE = xDBE5F1, // DBE5F1H Ok
MEDIUM_BLUE = xB8CCE4, // B8CCE4H Ok
DARK_BLUE = x4F81BD // 4F81BDH Ok
*/
};

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections