Posted By
medirate
Sep 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello:

First post, and first time using Photoshop. I have a text file that holds the file names of jpg pictures, along with text I would like to overlay on the jpg.

For instance:

DSCN0435.jpg Manny
DSCN0521.jpg Eric
DSCN0535.jpg Susan

Is there any way I can program Photoshop to take the text file, look up the picture (DSCN0435), place "Manny" as a watermark in the top center of the picture, then go to the next picture (DSCN0521), and watermark "ERIC" the same way?

I have hundreds of pictures, none of which have been watermarked, and I would like to do this in a batch process.

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
Gadgets
Sep 8, 2004
Someone with javascript experience should be able to do it with CS. Otherwise imprinting image name should be easy with the right util (search on EXIF data imprinting, irfanview etc). Adding other text would be more manual…

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
J
jjs
Sep 8, 2004
"Doug W" wrote in message
Hello:

First post, and first time using Photoshop. I have a text file that holds the file names of jpg pictures, along with text I would like to overlay on the jpg.

For instance:

DSCN0435.jpg Manny
DSCN0521.jpg Eric
DSCN0535.jpg Susan

Is there any way I can program Photoshop to take the text file, look up the picture (DSCN0435), place "Manny" as a watermark in the top center of the picture, then go to the next picture (DSCN0521), and watermark "ERIC" the same way?

There are a few ways to do what you want, but not exactly as you suggest above. Would you reconsider the task to make it simpler?

With your current method, you probably open a text editor, type or paste in the name of a file, then the name you want imprinted over it, all the time looking at thumnails in the OS browser (thumbnails). You can skip that list part alltogether and go directly into production.

One way is to use Photoshop’s Browser window. Click on the picture(s) you want to handle, then right-click and take ‘file info’. That brings up a window in which you can type in the metadata. You can also organize the images in any order you wish regardless of name (or directory order.) Once you have clicked (or ‘flagged’) the images you like, and ordered them as you wish, there is an Automate button in the same browser window in which you can rip out the web photo gallery which can put the name entered into Metadata over the pictures.

Another way: You tell File – Automate – Web Gallery to use the file names over the pictures. Change the file names to the titles you want on the picture. In the Browser window you can ‘batch’ rename files where, for example, there are many of Manny. There’s also a quick and easy way to do that in native Windows, preferably with the Thumbnail version. For example, shift-click on all the picture of Manny, then right click and take the ‘rename’ option. Rename only one and the rest are automatically serialized as "Manny(1).jpg, Manny(2).jpg" and so-forth. Then do the File Automate Web Gallery thing.

Or we can get into scripting if you want to program.
N
noone
Sep 8, 2004
In article , says…
Hello:

For instance:

DSCN0435.jpg Manny
DSCN0521.jpg Eric
DSCN0535.jpg Susan

There are a few ways to do what you want, but not exactly as you suggest above. Would you reconsider the task to make it simpler?
With your current method, you probably open a text editor, type or paste in the name of a file, then the name you want imprinted over it, all the time looking at thumnails in the OS browser (thumbnails). You can skip that list part alltogether and go directly into production.

One way is to use Photoshop’s Browser window. Click on the picture(s) you want to handle, then right-click and take ‘file info’. That brings up a window in which you can type in the metadata. You can also organize the images in any order you wish regardless of name (or directory order.) Once you have clicked (or ‘flagged’) the images you like, and ordered them as you wish, there is an Automate button in the same browser window in which you can rip out the web photo gallery which can put the name entered into Metadata over the pictures.

Another way: You tell File – Automate – Web Gallery to use the file names over the pictures. Change the file names to the titles you want on the picture. In the Browser window you can ‘batch’ rename files where, for example, there are many of Manny. There’s also a quick and easy way to do that in native Windows, preferably with the Thumbnail version. For example, shift-click on all the picture of Manny, then right click and take the ‘rename’ option. Rename only one and the rest are automatically serialized as "Manny(1).jpg, Manny(2).jpg" and so-forth. Then do the File Automate Web Gallery thing.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been waiting for an answer such as your – going into my Save file right now.

Hunt
B
bagal
Sep 8, 2004
Be warned though!

This threw my local digital image print provider when I turned up with 120 images all baring the same filename apart from the bit in parenthesis

It seemed to give their computer system a bit in digital indigestion

Articus

I must say that it is good to see Windows catching up with DOS

A

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article , says…
Hello:

For instance:

DSCN0435.jpg Manny
DSCN0521.jpg Eric
DSCN0535.jpg Susan

With your current method, you probably open a text editor, type or paste in
the name of a file, then the name you want imprinted over it, all the time looking at thumnails in the OS browser (thumbnails). You can skip that list
part alltogether and go directly into production.

One way is to use Photoshop’s Browser window. Click on the picture(s) you want to handle, then right-click and take ‘file info’. That brings up a window in which you can type in the metadata. You can also organize the images in any order you wish regardless of name (or directory order.) Once you have clicked (or ‘flagged’) the images you like, and ordered them as you
wish, there is an Automate button in the same browser window in which you can rip out the web photo gallery which can put the name entered into Metadata over the pictures.

Another way: You tell File – Automate – Web Gallery to use the file names over the pictures. Change the file names to the titles you want on the picture. In the Browser window you can ‘batch’ rename files where, for example, there are many of Manny. There’s also a quick and easy way to do that in native Windows, preferably with the Thumbnail version. For example,
shift-click on all the picture of Manny, then right click and take the ‘rename’ option. Rename only one and the rest are automatically serialized as "Manny(1).jpg, Manny(2).jpg" and so-forth. Then do the File Automate Web
Gallery thing.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been waiting for an answer such as your – going into
my Save file right now.

Hunt
N
noone
Sep 8, 2004
In article <mkL%c.253$ says
….
Be warned though!

This threw my local digital image print provider when I turned up with 120 images all baring the same filename apart from the bit in parenthesis
Articus

A
[SNIP]

I appreciate the admonition. I was thinking about this for catalogued/archived images, and not for output – but one never knows. Thanks for the headsup.

Hunt
H
Hecate
Sep 9, 2004
On 8 Sep 2004 23:57:45 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article <mkL%c.253$ says

Be warned though!

Articus

A
[SNIP]

I appreciate the admonition. I was thinking about this for catalogued/archived images, and not for output – but one never knows. Thanks for the headsup.
IIRC, you use ThumbsPlus? You can probably do this using batch commands and keywords.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
jjs
Sep 9, 2004
"Articus Drools" wrote in message
Be warned though!

A second pass in Batch Rename to replace parenthesis with underscores would fix that.
J
jjs
Sep 9, 2004
Hello:

[….]

Ya know, there’s an even easier way. Here it is.
Create an action for each name, for example Manny, Jane, Robert.

The action is simply Text typed into the picture in the location you want. Then save it as a Droplet.

Then go to the folder in Thumbnails view and drag each picture of Manny over the Manny droplet, each picture of Jane over Jane, etc.. You can select almost any number of Manny’s or Janes to drop at once, or put all photos of each person in dedicated folders and drag the folder on top of the droplet.

Instant happiness.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections