HW
Posted By
Heather_Wylie
Oct 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been trying to install my Photoshop 5.5 on my computer. I just upgraded to Window Me. It says that there is an <unkown> problem with an <unkown>… something like that. Then it says that I can’t install due to system restrictions and says to contact my provider… Does anyone know what I should do?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2003
Does anyone know what I should do?

Yes. Tell us what the error message is instead of making it up.
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 28, 2003
I just upgraded to Window Me.

Say what? Windows Me was a piece of junk. Using the term upgrade and Windows Me in the same sentence is ridiculous.

But, if you installed Me on top of an earlier operating system, you’ve made a giant mistake. Time for a format and reinstall of anything but WinME.

Bob
HW
Heather_Wylie
Oct 28, 2003
Dave… excuse me? I did not want to retry installing to get the EXACT message, cause it jams up my computer… !!@#$$#@%$%$!
HW
Heather_Wylie
Oct 28, 2003
Robert….I have been having lots of problems with my computer…I orginally had Win98, and my computer was jammin up, restarting itself, not letting my install my new scanner software, internet explorer didn’t work. My dad had check everything out and couldn’t figure out what the deal was. I also had BestBuy check it out and they couldn’t find anything wrong either…so I was trying WinME, and everything has been perfect since, except for installing PS5.5…. I was able to instal PS 5.0,and Illustrator 8.01, just not PS 5.0 ….I did have some problems wiping everything off my computer…I wanted to start with nothing on the harddrive, but for some reason it wouldn’t let us do that…
So, do you suggest to try to figure out how to wipe everything off my computer and start new, and maybe then PS 5.5 will work? or should I try Win2000? I have that also. What do you think?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2003
definately format and try windows 2000. sorry to seem rude, but we can’t help a <something><something> error message. it could be <anything><anything>. 🙂

the reason it probably wouldn’t let you wipe it clean is because it’s a drive that’s bigger than win me/9x understands (> 4 gig) and is probably running a boot sector bios modification to get the full drive size recognized.

before installing win 2k, i suggest getting a utility like western dig data lifeguard tools (available here: <http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp> ) to low level format and remove the bios util. after that, assuming no other problems with the machine, the installation should go fine.
HW
Heather_Wylie
Oct 28, 2003
<unknown> is the exact term that popped up on the message… Thanks for the help. I try will using Win 2000. If the problem still occurs, I will post another message regarding Photoshop 5.5
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 28, 2003
It’s already been pointed out but bears repeating. Do a clean installation of Win2K. You’ll notice the difference immediately.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections