SD
Posted By
Shelley_Dodd
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create a hybrid color from two web safe colors. This color will be for a background. How do I do this? I am using Photoshop 7.01. Thank you!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 6, 2004
Expain hybrid more fully … do you mean a dithering, or a pattern, or something else.

BTW, the web safe palette is a historical artifact now, no longer something necessary the way it was in 1996. Very few people use monitors that cannot see more than 256 colors (less than 2 %, last time I checked).
SD
Shelley_Dodd
Jan 6, 2004
Ok, never mind, I’ll just go with the color I have and not make a hybrid color. Thank you!
P
Phosphor
Jan 6, 2004
Checkerboard GIFs using two or more websafe colors are never a good idea, because they don’t compress well.
PH
Photo_Help
Jan 6, 2004
Phosphor,

"Checkerboard GIFs using two or more websafe colors are never a good idea, because they don’t compress well."

They don’t compress as well as a solid color would but you only need a small tile and it is after-all only two colors. The file will still be well below 1K (As in double digit bytes).

The big issue is the way text will look on a dithered background. The answer is not good.

Shelley,

Just use BGCOLOR. If you need to match the color to elements on the page you may want to use a single color GIF file to be sure the colors render the same shade. For a single color GIF you are also better off using a 100×100 tile size vs the urge to use a 1×1 pixel image because the browser will take less time to render the page (Not that this is usually a problem with todays computers, It is just better web etiquette).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections