S
Posted By
Spiky
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I achieve this effect in Photoshop CS? I’m wearing a red shirt leaning against a building. I want me, the building and everything else to be in black and white. But I want the shirt colour to remain red. I’d gladly appreciate any help.

thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
nomail
Jun 10, 2004
Spiky wrote:

How do I achieve this effect in Photoshop CS? I’m wearing a red shirt leaning against a building. I want me, the building and everything else to be in black and white

There are many ways to do this. Here’s one: Add an Channel Mixer adjustment layer, and click ‘monochrome’. Choose a mix that gives you the image you like, click OK. Click on the mask incon next to the channel mixer icon, choose a brush and paint your shirt with black in the mask.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
J
jaSPAMc
Jun 10, 2004
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:06:43 +0100, "Spiky" found these unused words floating about:

How do I achieve this effect in Photoshop CS? I’m wearing a red shirt leaning against a building. I want me, the building and everything else to be in black and white. But I want the shirt colour to remain red. I’d gladly appreciate any help.

thanks
See if you can select the shirt with the wand, feather with 1 pixel and invert the selection then desaturate.
C
customersupport
Jun 10, 2004
Spiky wrote:

thanks
This is pretty easy if you (as I am always posting the importance of here) Channels and masks. Make a selection of your shirt (You can either use a channel to find the most contrast or use paths). Make an alpha channel of the shirt selection. Make a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer and set the Master Saturation all the way to the left. The entire image will look black & White (well actually grayscale). Go to your channels layer, select your alpha channel (will look like your shirt in white) and click the make selection option in the channels pallete. You will now have marching ants around your shirt. Fill that selection with pure black. There it is. Everything in the photo is greyscale but your shirt.

Spiky
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks folks. Appreciated. I’m new to Photoshop – well, sort of….and it won’t be easy but hey I’ll have a go.

"Spiky" wrote in message
How do I achieve this effect in Photoshop CS? I’m wearing a red shirt leaning against a building. I want me, the building and everything else to be in black and white. But I want the shirt colour to remain red. I’d
gladly
appreciate any help.

thanks

S
She
Jun 11, 2004
"Spiky" wrote in message
Thanks folks. Appreciated. I’m new to Photoshop – well, sort of….and it won’t be easy but hey I’ll have a go.

"Spiky" wrote in message
How do I achieve this effect in Photoshop CS? I’m wearing a red shirt leaning against a building. I want me, the building and everything else
to
be in black and white. But I want the shirt colour to remain red. I’d
gladly
appreciate any help.

thanks

Here’s another way:

Layer > Duplicate layer Then with that layer (copy) still selected, Image
adjustments > desaturate

Now select the eraser tool and erase the desaturated image from the shirt and the red shirt will come through. You can adjust the eraser size to outline your shirt. It works slick and it’s easy. 😉
N
nomail
Jun 11, 2004
She wrote:

Layer > Duplicate layer Then with that layer (copy) still selected, Image adjustments > desaturate

Now select the eraser tool and erase the desaturated image from the shirt and the red shirt will come through. You can adjust the eraser size to outline your shirt. It works slick and it’s easy. 😉

Don’t use the eraser, use a mask. If you use the eraser, you cannot correct places where you went too far, unless you do that immediately with ‘undo’. If you use a mask, you can correct anything anytime.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections