NK
Posted By
Neal_Koss
Mar 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t imagine what I might have done to cause this one….

Whenever I use the Type tool and click in the image, the cursor shows up exactly 5 1/2 inches to the right of where I clicked. I have tried rebooting and reinstalling, but the problem remains. Izzz a puzzlement.

Any ideas??? Thanks…

Wim XP Pro
PS 7.0.1

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 6, 2004
Reset the text tool and try it. You may have set something that’s causing that behavior.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 7, 2004
Sounds like an indent setting has been made. Roberts solution would fix this.
NK
Neal Koss
Mar 7, 2004
By "reset", I assume you mean to click the type icon on the options bar and then click "reset tool" from the drop down menu. When I do that, it changes the font to Helvetica and indeed, then when I go to set type, it puts the cursor right under where I click. But then if I change to another font, the problem returns.

Something is definitely strange…BTW, what does "reset tool" actually do? Thanks…
NK
Neal Koss
Mar 7, 2004
Actually, when I did "reset all tools", it seemed to work. I still wonder what it means…Thanks again…
DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 7, 2004
Reset tool takes all the items in the character palette and sets them back to their original state. Reset all tools resets all palettes. I really suspect an indent now, because the indents are in the paragraph palette, not the character palette.

If this does not work (or it comes back) a stronger way of resetting things to default is to delete the preferences file, discussed in the FAQ.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections