hot_denim
Apr 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is this ADOBE GAMMA LOADER in the Windows STARTUP folder and why >

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 29, 2004
it handles color management on your system.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 29, 2004
Adobe Gamma Loader simply loads Adobe Gamma (bet you’d never have guessed). And it’s in your startup folder because that is a good place to put a program that runs only at startup. Very convenient because if you move the shortcut out, then it won’t load Adobe Gamma. Easier than editing the registry if you don’t want it.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 29, 2004
footnote: But generally, you’ll not want to move the shortcut of the startup folder, unless you’re using some other 3rd-party color profiling software. As Chris Cox noted in another thread, once Adobe Gamma Loader performs its job at startup, it closes and uses no further resources.
L
LenHewitt
Apr 30, 2004
H_D,

Adobe Gamma Loader LOADS the LUT created by Adobe Gamma (NOT Adobe Gamma itself as Mick replied) to your Video driver when Windows starts. If it was not in the Startup folder, you would need to activate it manually to load the LUT, and until you did so, your monitor profile would have no effect.
HD
hot_denim
Apr 30, 2004
Len

your monitor profile would have no effect.

The one created with Adobe gamma, or the onein DISPLAY>PROPERTIES-Defaault colour management. The WINDOWS ICC DEFAULT profile.

My Voodoo3 Card’s drivers give me a similar gamma setting via DISPLAY >PROPERTIES etc… Will they clash ?. What should I do ?…
L
LenHewitt
Apr 30, 2004
H-D,

The one created with Adobe gamma, or <<

The one created with Adobe gamma.

What should I do ?…<<

DISPLAY>PROPERTIES-Colour management. Remove any existing profile and either leave blank or make it the Adobe Gamma created profile
HD
hot_denim
Apr 30, 2004
Len

So, my WHOLE desktop is Colour altered to my profile, ALL of the time ?. OR just in Photoshop ?.

Does Windows not have support for this built in ?>
L
LenHewitt
Apr 30, 2004
H_D,

Len So, my WHOLE desktop is Colour altered to my profile, ALL of the time
?. <<

Yes, and you should see the desktop change when the LUT loads during startup
HD
hot_denim
May 1, 2004
Len

So :

1. Windows does not provide such functions , why ? (taking into account the need/relevence…and other things Windows provides)

2. My voodoo3 Display card has options to set the RGB Gamma values. What do I do here, leave them at default ?… If I do change them what am I IN-EFFECT doing ?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 1, 2004
Don’t touch the video card gamma settings — use Adobe Gamma or other display calibrator that understands profiling.

No, Windows does not provide such functions.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 1, 2004
Windows does not provide such functions , why ?

You can associate profiles with devices in Windows, but such associations are easily overridden by applications. And that’s a good thing. (See, for example, the color management tab under properties for your ink jet printer, or right-click on any ICC profile and choose Properties | Associate Device.)

Windows certainly has no provision for characterizing a monitor as Adobe Gamma can.

As to why, you’d have to ask Microsoft.

=-= Harron =-=
PL
Patrick_L_Dinelle
May 2, 2004
On start-up I get an error message for the gamma loader encountered an error and must close. When startin Photoshop 7.0.1 I get an error that says "the NEC appears deffective. Please rerun your monitor calibration software" any ideas on how to fix this.
I am running windows XP service pack 1 on a pentium 4 2.26Ghz system.
DM
dave_milbut
May 2, 2004
find that profile on your hard drive and delete it. then rerun adobe gamma from the control panel to create a good one.
PL
Patrick_L_Dinelle
May 2, 2004
Thanks Dave the error messages are gone. How do I rerun Adobe gamma? I used the gamma loader and nothing happened.
DM
dave_milbut
May 2, 2004
rerun adobe gamma from the applet in the control panel. start with the srgb profile and make sure you save it under a new name!
BB
brent_bertram
May 2, 2004
Patrick,
You may want to get your LCD profile back and follow the directions in this technote to "massage it" with the Adobe Gamma utility . It may provide a better profile for you.
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>

πŸ™‚

Brent
RL
roger_leale
May 3, 2004
Help!!!!
Now I am completely confused. All this time I thought that Adobe Gamma only ran when you calibrated your monitor, that you then saved the profile for PS to use, and that Adobe Gamma never ran again until you wanted to re-calibrate your monitor.
The profile that you generate is saved, why do you need AG to run again? One of the posted tips for speeding up XP is to remove Adobe Gamma from the start-up folder once your monitor is calibrated. Is this not true?
L
LenHewitt
May 3, 2004
Roger,

All this time I thought that Adobe Gamma only ran when you calibrated your
monitor<<

You are confusing Adobe Gamma.cpl with Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

Adobe Gamma.cpl only loads when you create a monitor profile. Adobe Gamma Loader.exe runs at every start-up.
RL
roger_leale
May 3, 2004
Hi Len, Thanks for the info, maybe you can help me further. After reading this thread I thought that I would check the calibration of my monitor but I can’t find Adobe Gamma on my machine,and it doesn’t show on the control panel even though CS was only installed about six weeks ago. I have tried exploring the installation CD, but Adobe Gamma doesn’t show up as a folder so I can’t try re-installing it.
Is there any place that I could download it?
RL
Robert_Levine
May 3, 2004
You must have administrator previledges for Adobe Gamma to show up in the control panel.

Bob
RL
roger_leale
May 3, 2004
Hi Bob,
I tried that. Even logging on as administrator, and in safe mode it won’t appear in the control panel. The annoying part is that AG is shown in the ‘start-up’ folder in ‘All programs’ Maybe if I re-installed PS it would appear, but I don’t understand why the CS installation didn’t make it available.
BB
brent_bertram
May 3, 2004
It’s not that unusual for it not to show up in the Control Panel. I don’t know the reason. You might search your C: drive for Adobe Gamma.cpl and once you find it, right click on it and "run with Control Panel". Generally, this works, though it doesn’t put it in the Control Panel for you.

πŸ™‚

Brent
L
LenHewitt
May 3, 2004
Roger,

You should find it in c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration

You will also find an Adobe Gamma Readme text file there.
RL
roger_leale
May 3, 2004
Thanks for the tip Brent, that worked OK. Now I just have to get it back into the control panel.
B
btrumbo
May 17, 2004
I also am trying to get Adobe Gamma to show up in the control panel. It is loaded in the correct directory \Program Files\Common\Adobe\Calibration, and the Gamma Loader is in the Startup folder.

Running the Gamma.cpl file directly with "Open with Control Panel" works.

I do find Gamma in the Registry, in a way different than other add-on control panel programs – it is in
HKLM\Software..Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Extended Properties

Does anyone know how to get Gamma to appear in the control panel?

-BLT
DM
dave_milbut
May 17, 2004
are you an administrator? you need to be for it to show up.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections