SW
Posted By
Sally_Weigand
Nov 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just started using Elements and want to calibrate my monitor. HOwever when I click on Gamma Loader or try to get it working with Run, nothing happens. How can I get this to work? Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RC
Richard_Coencas
Nov 14, 2003
Got to the Control Panel, it should have an icon there.
LS
Larry_Sapadin
Nov 15, 2003
I have an even more basic question: I would like to calibrate my monitor, but the Gamma Utility doesn’t seem to have been installed. It does not appear in the Display folder of Control Panel. Could it be anywhere else? Is there a way to install it without uninstalling and reinstalling the whole Photoshop Elements program?
SW
Sally_Weigand
Nov 15, 2003
There is no icon for Gamma Loader in the Control Panel. It appears in Programs/Common Files/Adobe/Calibration and I can bring it up with Run. Was there a problem with its installation? Cann I re-install it from the CD without uninstalling reinstalling all of Photo. El.?
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 15, 2003
Larry and Sally,

On my PSE2 installation under Win98SE, I also got no Adobe Gamma installed in my Control Panel.

However, I found it (Adobe Gamma.cpl) in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration

Just double-click it and it runs.

HTH,

Byron
LS
Larry_Sapadin
Nov 16, 2003
Byron,

Thanks so much. Followed your directions, there it was!

So here’s a follow-up question: The Adobe PSE2 manual says that to get ready to calibrate, you have to "Set your desktop to display neutral grays only, using RGB values of 128. For more information, see the documentation for your operating system."

I’m running Windows 98SE and I can’t figure out how to set RGB values to 128. I’ve clicked through all the possibilities in the Display folder in Control Panel and haven’t seen anything obvious. I have a NVIDEO GeForce 256 video card. My Win98 manual does not address this.

Want to take another shot?

Thanks in advance.
Larry
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 16, 2003
Larry,

I think I can help.

Bring up your display properties (I ususally right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties), and select the Appearance tab.

In the lower portion of the Appearance tab, make sure that the "Item" drop-down is set to Desktop — then to the right of the Item field, click the drop-down arrow under Color. This brings up a limited color-picker menu, but at the bottom is a button that says Other… click it.

NOW you’ve got the full color-picker. Click in one of the Custom Color boxes (like a pigeon hole to store your soon-to-be-defined color). Then, at the right, enter 128 in the Red, Green, Blue fields. Click "Add to Custom Colors", then OK.

By now you’ll be back at the main Display Properties dialog, and able to see the sample screen with the new color as background. Click OK to use that color and close the dialog.

Happy Gamma-ing!!

Byron
LS
Larry_Sapadin
Nov 17, 2003
Byron,

Worked like a charm. You certainly know your way around Photoshop and its related issues.

I performed the calibration, which begins by having you set the contrast to its maxiumum level. The literature never exactly says whether you’re supposed to reduce the contrast once the monitor is calibrated. I’m leaving it as is. Is that correct?

Thanks again. You are a great (and generous) resource.

Larry
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 17, 2003
Larry,

You are correct to leave the controls as they are once you complete the Gamma adjustment.

It is heartening to know that my advice was helpful, but the true thanks belong to the people on this forum who helped me get started, in the first place. Whether vicariously, or directly, I’ve learned more via this forum than from all of the books and tutorials I’ve read, combined.

Stick around and enjoy!

Byron
SW
Sally_Weigand
Nov 17, 2003
Byron,
Thanks so much for your input. I was clicking on Gamma.exe not .cpl; that’s why it wouldn’t start. Sally

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections