Blacks in printer produced prints and those in silver halide darkroom prints.

F
Posted By
Frankie
Oct 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any way I can produce the same "quality" of image from a printer that I can from darkroom work. The "old fasioned way". (At least that is how I have heard it described.)

Frakie

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JD
Oct 31, 2008
Frankie wrote:
Is there any way I can produce the same "quality" of image from a printer that I can from darkroom work. The "old fasioned way". (At least that is how I have heard it described.)

Frakie

Epson makes a variety of "photo" inkjet printers that produce a pretty good image when used with one of their inkjet papers.

I don’t do black and white prints but I’m impressed with the color prints from my Epson Stylus Photo R280. $100

From Epson web page:

The Epson Stylus Photo R2400 delivers large, archival prints worthy of gallery display. Its pigment ink set, 8-color Epson UltraChrome K3™, includes three levels of black and sets a new standard in fine art photography and black and white prints. $800.

JD..
F
Frankie
Oct 31, 2008
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:37:44 -0500, JD wrote:

Frankie wrote:

Frakie

Epson makes a variety of "photo" inkjet printers that produce a pretty good image when used with one of their inkjet papers.

I don’t do black and white prints but I’m impressed with the color prints from my Epson Stylus Photo R280. $100

From Epson web page:

The Epson Stylus Photo R2400 delivers large, archival prints worthy of gallery display. Its pigment ink set, 8-color Epson UltraChrome K3™, includes three levels of black and sets a new standard in fine art photography and black and white prints. $800.

Thanks for that.
J
JD
Nov 2, 2008
Frankie wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:37:44 -0500, JD wrote:

Frankie wrote:

Frakie

From Epson web page:

Thanks for that.

You’re welcome. I changed the newsgroup so I’m only replying in this newsgroup. I don’t know why you made it a Followup-To to two other newsgroups.

I’m surprised that nobody else replied to your question.

I was an advertising photographer for 16 years and spent more time than I’d like in a black and white darkroom making prints. I jobbed out the film development but found I could produce a better print than most labs and/or my assistant. I retired before digital photography was acceptable in advertising photography.

Photography is just a hobby now.

One of the local photo labs used to accept digital images and print them on photo paper. I compared one of their prints to one of my prints on an older Epson photo printer and I actually liked the Epson print better. This was many years ago and it was a color print.

I was a big fan of Ansel Adams and used the Zone system for exposure and development of my black and white film. I also used 4 X 5 inch Polaroid negatives.

And there is no money in the world that could get me to go back into a darkroom. Processes, like a contrast mask, were time consuming when done "the old fashioned way". Now they’re a plug-in in Photoshop.

My current Epson printer is a Stylus Photo R280. It does a great photo print although the six cartridges cost more than the printer. A small price to pay to do all my work on a computer screen and make a print in a minute or two.

JD..

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections