Posted By
ergobob
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to add a filter effect to text in Photoshop Elements and am not getting the concept.

I want to add the filtered text to a photo and was able to do this once but I can’t replicate it. My general technique is to create a new image for the text and then copy and paste it onto the photo.

After I created a new image for the text only, I tried to add the filter. But the filter effect is grayed-out and it says I have to simplify the layer but the simplify layer is also grayed-out.

What is a good technique for adding text with a filtering effect to a photo?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Apr 28, 2005
ergobob wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to add a filter effect to text in Photoshop Elements and am not getting the concept.

I want to add the filtered text to a photo and was able to do this once but I can’t replicate it. My general technique is to create a new image for the text and then copy and paste it onto the photo.

After I created a new image for the text only, I tried to add the filter. But the filter effect is grayed-out and it says I have to simplify the layer but the simplify layer is also grayed-out.

Thanks a lot,

Bob
What effect exactly? You have to rasterize text (Layer>Rasterize>Type or right-click on the layer in the palette)to use a filter on it, but it may be that a Layer Style will do the trick.

Why do you create a new image for the text? Sounds like you may be doing more work than necessary.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
E
ergobob
Apr 29, 2005
"edjh" wrote in message
ergobob wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks a lot,

Bob
What effect exactly? You have to rasterize text (Layer>Rasterize>Type or right-click on the layer in the palette)to use a filter on it, but it may be that a Layer Style will do the trick.

Why do you create a new image for the text? Sounds like you may be doing more work than necessary.

Hi,

I am trying to make text look old or like a typewriter. So I was using Noise / Filter / Dust & Scratches. But I can’t seem to make it work again.

I am using Photoshop Elements and it does not seem to have a Layer>Rasterize>Type option. Also, the right click on the layer pallet does not give that option and I hate to say it but I don’t see Style as an option.

It may be Elements from a couple of years ago that is causing the problem?

Thanks,

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections